Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: tranny fluid ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If you want a fluid with a little more "anti slip" properties, just add a 3oz bottle of friction modifier for limited slip differentials. It's used to keep the clutches from burning up in the differentials, and will work on a slightly worn Ultramatic as well.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC Hudsonite is 30% Kerosene and 70% 10w oil.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 11:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Discounting most recent 10 to 15 years i doubt that any of the 50's-60-70's ATF's were much different from each other within their time frame. Any of them not red?????

Mineral oil is used mostly in ag equipment to lube the trans,axle, and 3hree point hitch hydraulics. But these are very low speed vehicles tho it suprises me that the mineral oil is good enuf for such high pressure placed on the gears and axles.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 11:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though they may or may not all be red, there were distinct differences in the additives in the various fluids. With additives in Dexron to allow clutches to slip a bit for a smoother engagement, it's quite contradictory in requirements for an Ultramatic, though obviously some folks have had satisfactory experiences with it.

I believe that 69, 70 or 71 was the last year for the whale oil-based fluids. I've heard that a rash of transmission failures for GM followed the conversion.

I've heard that Hudsonite fluid also contains rosin. Can't verify that but you can still buy the original formula from HET Club.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I've heard that Hudsonite fluid also contains rosin. Can't verify that but you can still buy the original formula from HET Club.

I have a glass bottle of Hudsonite from at least the '40s that's still full, if anyone wants to do a chemical analysis on it I'll donate some to the cause.....

Posted on: 2009/5/12 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
"No, I didn't know there were 2 types, how do you tell the dinasour juice from the synthetic? Labels different?"

Yes, two different labels, two different prices. Synthetic is recommended for more modern transmissions. Have had positive experiences with both. Synthetic in 2003 Grand Marquis (at about 80,000 miles when torque converter did not want to stay locked) and petroleum based in '55 Pat. I'd tried Dexron/Mercon and Type F both. After reading a post from
Eric when he was driving his V8, tried the Trick Shift. It eliminated the direct drive clutch slippage for me in the Patrician for me.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 8:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
B&M TrickShift is the ONLY fluid I recommend in Ultramatics. I've tried them all, from Dextron/Mercon to Type F to Dextron/Mercon V, and TrickShift was the only one that helped the trans. I've tried all kinds of snake oil additives, too. None of them worked, but the TrickShift did.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 10:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Trick Shift 1 quart google shopping

Summit Racing has it for 4.75/quart. 12 quarts according to the ultramatic service manual (page 29) - 7 for the tranny and 5 for the converter.

BTW, when using any internet shopping service, make sure you look seriously at the seller rating before buying. Pay extra for a good seller rating.

EDIT: I couldn't find it in 1 gallon containers.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 10:58
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've tried them all, from Dextron/Mercon to Type F to Dextron/Mercon V, and TrickShift was the only one that helped the trans.

Turbopacman, if you've got the time, pls take a few minutes and help me understand this a bit better. Are you saying that if you've got a marginally worn trans, maybe worn shafts and/bushings, clutches, low hydraulic pressures, or things of that manner that TrickShift can restore a reasonable level of performance for a time?

Or maybe just better longevity between rebuilds (though hard to do a controlled experiement to prove)?

Posted on: 2009/5/13 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
B&M TrickShift is the ONLY fluid I recommend in Ultramatics. I've tried them all, from Dextron/Mercon to Type F to Dextron/Mercon V, and TrickShift was the only one that helped the trans. I've tried all kinds of snake oil additives, too. None of them worked, but the TrickShift did.

I agree with Turbo. I'd give Trickshift a try. It's a bit expensive, but so is rebuilding a transmission. While not related, I had to rebuild the Fordomatic 2 speed in my Edsel last year. I tried Type F since I couldn't find any Type A around. The car ran and drove but groaned and missed it's shift occasionally. Trickshift solved those problems.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 12:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved