Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Windshield wipers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't tell from the picts but also make sure the wiper mounts are correct side to side. Are the washer jets (or plugs) toward the center.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Centered.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 20:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's good at least

Attach file:

jpg  (46.30 KB)
209_4a627f419cb65.jpg 411X589 px

jpg  (39.19 KB)
209_4a627f4d2c0e9.jpg 413X765 px

jpg  (28.52 KB)
209_4a627f5616ab1.jpg 376X392 px

jpg  (16.91 KB)
209_4a627f69b5bec.jpg 686X346 px

jpg  (16.27 KB)
209_4a627f801a823.jpg 531X363 px

Posted on: 2009/7/18 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Thanks for the directions. Remove the glove box (just reinstalled it nicely), lock the tensioners on both sides, with the tension off the cables, correctly attach the cables as shown. It looks like they wrap half way around the spindle. From the firewall forward: right back cable bottom, left back bottom, left front top and right front cable top. (am sure to find out tomorrow)

Posted on: 2009/7/18 21:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not too terribly hard although the springs on the tensioners are pretty healthy. Nails work for pins. Try not to let the tensioner snap back when it's released and some gloves might help as the pulley edges might be a little sharp.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 21:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Did I correctly describe the cable wrap? My hands are almost healed from the speedo, she does like to scratch.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 21:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wrap sounds right. Things kind of drop into place. Just make sure they wrap properly top & bottom & colored clips are as described when at pulley. Ones closest to firewall from each side start on bottom and other two start on top.

Really kind of curious how they got crossed unless one of the mounts started wrong. As fig 7 shows, the mounts are in the park position because the inside cables are longer meaning the attachment at the mount pulleys is almost at the inside bottom -- almost as far as it can go pulling blades toward chrome. When finished, obviously the wiper posts will turn in opposite directions and you should have around 120 degree range.

EDIT Just looked at fig 9 again and it looks like that is at full sweep position--maybe for picture clarity showing the clips.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Adjusted the cables and the wipers work great, they park go fast and slow. Will install the compensator later but we know that the motor works. To answer your question about the cable twist, since the wipers only worked when they wanted to I never discovered that I had a problem until the wiper motor was repaired. Thankfully that's the end of this topic. Now my horn stopped working, must have pulled a wire, with a five thousand pound projectile it is a good thing to have.

Posted on: 2009/7/19 11:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear. Should go variable speed with the knob and little lever under should make the sweep full range or very narrow but faster. As mentioned, co-ord won't do anything without the pump mechanism but if you have one and do the rebuild as Big Kev posted, then it's an attractive option. Only thing I've seen go wrong on those is the little bleed screw, if turned in too tight, can crack the plastic. If that happens, there is no bleed control and it quits almost as fast as water does instead of staying on a few seconds.

Check the round plug out of the steering column from the turn signal switch. The wire from horn button is the center black one. If that is OK, then something else is going on. Relay is on left radiator support between the battery and radiator. Should have 12V on red wire, one of the blacks comes from that round plug thru wiring loom and grounding it will make horn blow, other goes to the horns.

Posted on: 2009/7/19 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Attached the compensator to the wiper motor and through error and error finally adjusted the cable to pull the control slide far enough to make the blades park. It's cool to watch it work... much better than electric. Next weekend is her first car show should be fun.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 22:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved