Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 243

curpack, DaveJr, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 37 »

Re: Randy Berger's 1956 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
ACOLDS, thanks for a prompt reply. I was tied up with family and didn't make it to the Waterfront - hope you guys had a good time. Apparently there is not a good picture of the pump in question, but that is a very late number in the Packard hierarchy and I suspect it is the plugged pump. Tell all the Stude bros I said Hi and see them next year

Posted on: 2007/10/31 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Brian, After looking at the Stude PDF I believe that 6480508 is the part number for the GH oil pump which just has a plate on the bottom. That number would be for a complete pump as the GH required and so they assigned it a later number as it is one year later in production.

Posted on: 2007/10/31 20:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
A lot has happened since my last entry. We pulled #1 main and found copper on the bearing - not good. Then we found two newer con rods on cyl #1 and 2 - worse. I noticed the factory oil baffles on one cyl head were on upside down. They fit under the valve springs which meant that all the valve springs had been removed for some reason and the baffles were installed wrong when they put the valve springs back in place. One of the baffles is missing. That is not a big deal but just demonstrated the sloppiness and ignorance of whoever worked on that engine. After asking for local opinions on machine shops competent enough to do this job properly and not getting any solid definitive answers I expanded my search and on the advice of two Packard friends I chose to haul the engine down to NJ for a complete overhaul. This will include installing hardened valve seats and stainless valves, cutting the crank (if needed), new pistons (probably), cam and lifters and a complete engine balance. I can only hope the block is OK and is not cracked anywhere. This will take a little extra out of my sock and cut back on my plans to buy all of you a Christmas gift - sorry to disappoint. I did make the 820 mile round trip in one day and was bushed when I finally got home. I did have a nice visit in NJ and saw some Packards I hadn't seen before. All in all a productive trip.

Posted on: 2007/11/23 23:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Here are the rates for the engine rebuild. I think some are a little high, but these are seasoned engine rebuilders who have done work for discerning friends before. I trust the opinions of these friends. If you want quality you have to pay for it.

Disassemble, cleaning $260
Hot tank block, heads $ 80
Bore & hone cylinders $180
Deck block $125
Line-hone mains $250
Machine crankshaft $125
Reconditions con rods $280
Rebuild heads $400
Install hardened valve seats $160
Install cam bearings $ 80
Assemble engine $560
Paint engine (brush) $80
Full balance $250

If I add it up right I get $2830, all parts not included of course.
All comments are welcome.
This does not include transportation and tolls.

Posted on: 2007/12/1 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Line hone mains????? The Packard V8 has inserts NOT babbit!!! $80 to BRUSH paint the engine and u call them seasoned engine builders???? Deck the block???? What for??? What are they going to balance????

Posted on: 2007/12/1 20:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Randy, it sounds like your 56 will run like a top! I also think they are a little high on prices but the people who do the best work don't need to haggle. I assume they will line bore the mains because they fit oversize bearings and they want everything to be perfectly aligned. Do you really need to do that? Impossible to tell without a lot of specialized measurement tools and time... In the end (and IMHO), it's probably better just to do it their way, that way you know you you will have one squared away engine. I look forward to reading your "crank it over" report.

Posted on: 2007/12/1 21:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Of course the V8 doesn't have babbitt, you line hone the main bearing caps and saddles (assembled) so that when the insert shells are installed, they are all perfectly dimensioned and aligned on a common center.

Posted on: 2007/12/1 23:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
What Randy has done is commonly known as "blueprinting". I plan on doing the same plus on my 374 project.

Posted on: 2007/12/2 0:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
If you go to experts and don't take there advice what is the use of going to them. The only thing I question is $80 to paint that might just be tip for guys that do the work. The main thing is that Randy is satisfied that he will get quality workmanship to make his latest project to the same high standards as his 400

Posted on: 2007/12/2 0:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is the manufacturere and part number for the main bearing inserts to be used after the block and caps have been line bored????
(THIS is gonna be a good one.)

Posted on: 2007/12/2 9:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 37 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved