Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 13 »

Re: Packard TSB 56T-20 - Low Oil Pressure
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"The shop had to do some machining on the adapter to make it fit so we think there was a problem with the mount point in my engine. "

yeS. Let me guess. U have a LATE 56 Engine??? I ran into the same problem between my 5672A-1074 and 5672A-1834 engines.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 19:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jed and Bowman. Thank you for telling of your experiences. They are important for diagnosis and R&D of the Packard V8 models.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 19:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jed writes:
"The local shop rebuilt the engine and we got a rebuilt oil pump from Bob Aller. "

Did Aller rebuild THE pump U sent him or did he send u a different pump????

Posted on: 2009/10/28 19:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
I'm not sure how early in the year my car was made. The body is #5687-1593 and the engine is original to the car. The stencil on the frame says Oct 55.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 19:38
Jed
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Aller sent me a different pump.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 19:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jed writes:

"It sounded like it wanted to blow something out the top end. I sent it back to Bob who returned it saying there was nothing wrong with it."

This was your SECOND engine overhaul.
How many miles after the pump was installed did it go bad???

Posted on: 2009/10/28 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jed writes : "Aller sent me a different pump."

There were 2wo different pumps. Do u remeber if the pump u sent him had a large hex nut plugging the pressure relief valve port???? This is generaly called "the plugged pump" and was used on late 56 engines. 55 and early to mid 56 pumps had just an open hole at the pressure relief valve port.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Well, now I'm beginning to think that maybe I too have a oil pump or related problem,besides the timing issue. How can I diagnose the problem of having air in the oil. Before pulling the pump I would want to have pretty good evidence of a problem. Also knowing what or at least one of the problems is would allow for a better remedy, rather than changing out the pump and still have oiling related issues.I have run the engine at different engine speeds up to normal temprature, shut it down and checked the oil inside the filter housing and I did not detect any air bubbles or see anything out of the ordinary. Does the get entrapped in the oil or is there air that is trapped in the heads that can detected by breaking one of the lines at the filter or at the 1/8" openings in both heads.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 20:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
I didn't put any miles on the pump I got from Bob. The minute I got it out on the road above 35 mph it sounded like it was going to blow something through the hood.

The way the shop diagnosed the air in the oil was by disconnecting the line to the oil filter, starting the engine, and then observing the oil as it was pumped into a large glass jar. They could see the bubbles in the oil stream.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 20:12
Jed
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
I don't know if the first pump was plugged or unplugged kind. When I pull it out of the cabinet this weekend to take pictures I'll look.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 20:13
Jed
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved