Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

29tons, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Thirsty Clipper?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
My Clipper with 372 cubic inch engine gets about 10 mpg in combination hiway and around town. This is with an od 3 speed. I do not run it in od very often though. It has a dual point conversion and radial tires. This is about the same mileage I got with it when I had an Ultramatic in it.
I Had a 55, 400 that I converted to solid state. The conversion had no effect on mileage.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 9:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
And the winner is: The Netherlands!

Actuele brandstofprijzen (actual fuel prices):

Euro95 ? 1.599
Super plus ? 1.659
Diesel ? 1.239
LPG ? 0.699

Latest update: 28-4-2010

The Netherlands have the highest taxes on fuel in the world. Two third of the price of fuel is VAT or another tax.

Tom

Posted on: 2010/4/28 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Yes, I know a fellow there who had an Imperial w/440 V8 that he ran on propane for that reason... now he runs a 71 Fury III on propane too, and we may convert one of our old cars to propane to avoid gasoline issues long term.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 15:47
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Roger,

The trans on my Clipper is the standard 3-speed manual box.
It's the Deluxe version, but lots of luxe isn't equipped...

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/28 16:20
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
@ TW: Uh, the price for LPG ( liquid Petroleum Gas ) is indeed high, at the pump overhere I pay ? 0.54 / Litre

@ all:

Here in Europe a lot of gas engines are modified to LPG, there is a extra tank installed for liquid gas, mostly as replacing the spare wheel in the trunk or at bigger cars under the chassis. These tanks are often 80 till 120 litres, thus between 20 and 30 gallons.
Older cars can be equipped with a LPG evaporator, where the gas enters the engine behind the carb ( not needed anymore with LPG ), recent injection engines usus the LPI system ( injected gas system ).

A carb engine will loose some power on LPG, a injection one will keep the same horsepower.

Using LPG will increase the fuel consumption with 10 to 15%.

Only problem can be that the valves and seatings can burn in because of the higher temperature when running on LPG.

The LPG system is a way for using the big engines at a reasonable fuel cost.

It's indeed +80% of all the cars in Europe are Diesels.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 16:34
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
The Deluxe was actually the cheapest model Clipper, there was no "Standard"! Mine has no PS or PB, and has the small hub caps... the only options are overdrive, Torsion Level, radio and heater! Even the white roof was added later. I may change it to a lighter turquoise (not stock) for aesthetic reasons.
What are all the options on your Deluxe, Xavier? I see it has small caps, 3 spd. and originally no radio?

Posted on: 2010/4/29 9:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi Roger,

Indeed, no radio installed, also no power steering steering or power brakes.
There is only the torsion level ( what became standard in 56 for all models ), when I check the option list the drip roof rails at the vent windows and the white wall tires where added.

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/29 16:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
I too wish Diesels were more availible here in the states. I own two myself, both first generation Dodge Ram 350s equipped with the 5.9 litre Cummins. Both get between 16-19 mpg depending on load and how hard im driving. Both are heavier than stock, one is a 2wd dually with tool boxes and ladder racks, the other is a 4x4 with a service body, and both are automatics. Diesel is the way to go!

A kid i know is installing a 6.2 gm diesel in a 67 New Yorker, and his project keeps inspiring me to convert my Patrician parts car to Cummins diesel power.

back on track, my speedo cable is broken, so no odometer, but i cant figure im geting better than 10mpg.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 18:30
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Xavier did you get all the carb info you needed?
It appears that our cars are virtually identical - no PS or PB, all Persian Aqua, Torsion Level, chrome vent drip rails, 3 spd trans, small hub caps, heater. Mine has narrow ww radials at the moment, I'm not sure how it came. The only real difference, it seems, is the Overdrive and radio... I assume that yours has black/silver interior?
I'm not sure whether any other color was available with Persian Aqua.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 8:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Roger,

Yep, al the carb info I needed is available, thanks!

It seems our cars are indeed twins... .

The interior of my car is green with white accents

Click to see original Image in a new window

These pics where made when I brought the car at home, before it got it's refreshment. I have to make some new pics... .

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/30 16:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved