Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Special tool J-5981?????? For window handles?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
The Packard clips including the "improved" variety are notorious for not holding the handle in place.

Tell me about it. A right or left turn always ends with the corresponding window handle falling off the rear windows. Of course they won't slide off, but make on turn... I just leave them off until I reach my destination.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is an SC or STB addressing the issue of loose handles. IIRC it says to cut a piece of cardboard to slip in beside the clip to tighten it up.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 23:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Or just use chewing gum or bailing wire.

Posted on: 2010/7/3 19:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Hi all,

I need to remove the passenger side door handle on a 1956 in order to repair an off track window. My eyes are not what they used to be, so I'm not sure if I have the type A or B clip. I have some sheet aluminum to make a tool, but I'm not clear on which direction to push the clip.

The handle points down and forward at about a 7:00 o'clock position looking straight on at the door panel. Should I push up in line with the handle toward a 1:00 o'clock direction? Is there a R & L version of the handle? Looking at HH's photo, it looks like you push towards the casting number to release the clip?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/8/15 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
IIRC, you push from the handle side.

BTW, you can buy a generic tool to do this (combo 10-in-1, I believe) at almost any auto parts store for cheap. It also works on at least GM door handles, so finding one should be no problem.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/8/15 16:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a bit better view of the handle. As Craig mentions, push from the side. If facing the handle and it is pointing down, then place the tool on the left side and push toward the right. Window handles are the same.

It only takes a tiny bit --around 1/8 inch. Also, as mentioned in post 3, pay attention to the dimensions and don't use a slot so wide it will only catch one ear. Just pushing one side usually won't release the bar completely all the way across and pushing too hard trying on only one ear, will usually break off on the early clips.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.35 KB)
209_4c686fcb04e86.jpg 700X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/8/15 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
One pictures beats 1,000 words!

Posted on: 2010/8/15 18:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Thanks HH & Craig. I need to get a fanbelt @ NAPA tomorrow and I'll see if they have the tool. The one I made from sheet aluminum didn't work...too thin I think.Quote:

Craig wrote:
One pictures beats 1,000 words!

Posted on: 2010/8/15 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Thanks guys,

I got a Dorman door handle clip tool at Autozone for $6 and it worked like a charm.

Now..... does anyone know offhand what size "c" clips are needed to retain the two pins at the top of the scissor mechanism that raises and lowers the window? Looks like the OD of the pins is ~ 1/4", not sure if I can get a mic in there to measure. Otherwise, I'll just buy an asst of sizes that look close.

TIA

Posted on: 2010/8/16 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

Packard8 wrote:
Thanks guys,

I got a Dorman door handle clip tool at Autozone for $6 and it worked like a charm.

Now..... does anyone know offhand what size "c" clips are needed to retain the two pins at the top of the scissor mechanism that raises and lowers the window? Looks like the OD of the pins is ~ 1/4", not sure if I can get a mic in there to measure. Otherwise, I'll just buy an asst of sizes that look close.

TIA

Got it done. I found one of the old clips in the bottom of the door, it was wire type that looks like a miniature bobby pin. I bought an asst of misc clips & pins at the parts store for $5.99 so I guess I'm set for life.

Thanks again guys & especially Kev for hosting such a valuable site.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 13:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved