Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
248 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 247

R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Off Topic, But Which Model (T) To Choose?
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi all,

A bit off topic but your advice would be welcome, Ireland has a bit of a shortage of people to seek advice from!

I am buying a Ford Model T, I have 2 in mind and I need to choose one.

The first one is a 1915 brass rad Tourer model, the paintwork is very poor and there is a large dent on the outside of the bulkhead and several other dents. The seats and top need replacing. It runs good and its has its original lights. There is no started fitted.

The second is a 1923 Tourer, totally restored, every nut and bolt. Brand new top and seats. New tires and electronic ignition fitted. New bands, alloy pistons and 'turbo' clutch plates fitted. Total spray job and the chassis powder coated. It needs nothing.

The problem is that I would love a brass one but I will spend far too much money and time restoring it.

Should I cut my losses and buy the 1923 one, just turn the key and go!

Both are the same money.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 12:50
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print   

Re: Off Topic, But Which Model (T) To Choose?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For my two cents, would go with the restored one if there is a chance you are going to want to use it with your service. Electronic ignition might be a bit of downer if you are a stickler for authenticity but running and reliable might be a deciding factor.

The brass might ultimately be worth a few dollars more but now it would be a labor of love -- and there is always that since you like them and if you enjoy working on the cars. Also might be a long time before it could be finished or be in condition to drive or enjoy--let alone pay for itself.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Jay Leno loves his Model T for driving to work no kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1fBt1e-tI

Only you can tell what you should do. A restored car is usually a better buy but in the case of a Model T all parts are available and they are a cinch to rebuild.

If you really want a brass T and can't find a better one it might not be as difficult or expensive to fix up as you fear. Way cheaper and easier than a Packard anyway.

From your description it sounds like the brass one would be a good car to buy provided the price reflects the condition.

You might have a lot of money tied up in it once you get it done, on the other hand with brand new paint interior and top you shouldn't have to spend much going forward.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Trying to accurately value cars from this distance is a mug's game, however if the 2 cars were in the US the 1915 would be worth around $5000 or a little less, the 1924 $10,000 to $15,000 depending how good the restoration work is.

Given equal condition the 1915 is worth about 30% more than the 1924 model. Evidently everyone prefers the brass era.

Prices taken from Old Cars Report Price Guide August 2010 edition.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I've done a little checking and I think the 1915 model T is rarer and more valuable than the price guide would indicate. One like you describe might be worth closer to $10,000 but again, it is hard to say.

You might want to have a local expert or T owner look them over. And price the repairs.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 20:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
T's are for fun! Just came off a national tour in SD running mountains for a week. Go with the black T unless you have a well trained wife to polish brass. It has a elec starter which saves lots of elbow grease. If you want a T just to look at, go with the brass one.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi,

Thanks for your considered advice.

Yes, my head says 'brass' my pocket says 'black'!

My thinking was to leave the brass as it is, a bit ratty, but knowing my quest for perfection it would only be a matter of time before I start ordering parts to bring it back to its former glory. I have my Packard for the glory times so I am going with the 'black'.

Slan.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.66 KB)
1195_4c509f8b8eea8.jpg 400X600 px

Posted on: 2010/7/28 16:22
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Take a look at the Model T forum on the www.FordBarn.com website

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Great place for vintage Ford info....

Posted on: 2010/7/28 18:15
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
If you do get a T, strongly recommend joining the Model T Ford International, a great organization with folks all over the world and a great source for information.
Their web site ishttp://www.modelt.org/

T's are a lot more forgiving than Packards! When you do get in the T business, would be glad to provide pointers on getting the car tour ready.

Posted on: 2010/7/28 19:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved