Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

29 radiator core
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Need a new flat tube radiator core for a 29 626. Does anyone have a good honest source. I have called one major radiator mfg for the antique trade and he put a gun to my head. Know the core will be expensive but not what he asked.

Posted on: 2010/8/29 19:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 29 radiator core
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would think almost any radiator shop can find a core for you. I went to B&R Radiator in Park City Ks. to have my '48 recored, and it cost me $600 this time last year. If you don't mind shipping it to them I'm sure they can find a core for you, as they could even get honeycomb cores for old radiators. (At least they could last year when I asked them) And a flat tube radiator core should be pretty easy to find. Your guy was just lazy, IMHO.

B & R Radiator Inc
1015 West 53rd Street North
Wichita, KS 67204-2295
(316) 838-8497

Posted on: 2010/8/29 22:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Couple of questions: Are you insisting on absolutely authentic appearance? What kind of cost range were you expecting? I wouldn't think a functional flat tube new core (not necessarily an exact duplicate) would be that expensive, the 626 core was the smallest that Packard fitted during the 20s and 30s, only 25 gpm gravity flow rate for a new core, and an acceptable limit of 21 gpm for a used core.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 9:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Functional is what I want. That is why I prefer the flat tube. Problem is that the top of the core is radius shaped so a no name core by size will not work. Original is honeycomb which I want to get away from. Core is hid behind shtters so will not be too visable.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 10:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, honeycomb with a radiused top tank would be a very significant cost, a pure guess would be at least $2000, perhaps even double that. We have a couple of radiator shops in the area and I'll inquire - what's the width, thickness and maximum height?

Posted on: 2010/8/30 11:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Rad is in our local shop now so I cannot measure it. Should have kept those measurements last time I measured it. Did speak with the shop referenced above today and they sometimes cut the top out of one core to add to another. My shop guy is calling them to discuss. That fellow seemend confident something reasonable could be done. Pity he is in KS and I am in TN. I have a good shop here and hopefully we will find a core or solution.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 19:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've also heard of instances where a thin slice of the old honeycomb core was taken and fastened as a cosmetic facia over a new fin/tube core to give the appearance of a correct core.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 20:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Odd Moen
See User information
In 2005 I bought the core for a 640 (Super 8) with hexagon film. Which as I can remember, it was exact as original. I bought this from a UK company (email@vintagecarradiatorcompany.co.uk) It cost ?400.00 plus ?100.00 shipping. This company manufactured the core according my dimension drawing (attached). The dimensions for the 626 is different. I let the core been replace at a local company here in Norway. Regards Odd Moen, Norway

Attach file:

pdf Size: 88.61 KB; Hits: 78

Posted on: 2010/9/15 14:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Thanks!!!!!! I will send them an email. I bought a used radiator today for about what scrap price would be on it and will try it when it gets here. Have run out of leads here in the US for a core that is not thousands 000000000 of dollars.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 16:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Hello Odd, Have measured the core from my 626 and it appears to be the same measurements as your 640 core. I checked the parts book and found that the 640 and 626 assembly, core and tanks have different part numbers. Do you know what the difference is, could be a difference in tanks only? Would anyone else know the difference in a core for the 29 626 and 29 640, dimensions of the 640 are above in an earlier post.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 10:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved