Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 214

Ozstatman, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributer questions 1948
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
In my 1948 deluxe Touring 288cu the distributor an auto lite #1GP the vacuum advance has failed. Any suggestions where I could purchase a replacement vacuum advance unit. Is anyone aware of an electronic ignition conversion for the Auto lite distributor? You help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 16:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributer questions 1948
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might be able to find an NOS vacuum advance diaphram, but depending on how it was stored, and it's age, chances are it won't last too long due to simple ageing of the rubber diaphram. Rebuilt units are available, from Max Merritt and Kanter Brothers and probably from others; they require a core and are NOT inexpensive. You'll probably have to exchange the spring and shim pack from your unit to the replacement.

Pertronix does make a 6-volt positive ground electronic ignition for the Senior 8 engine (356) AutoLite system (IGT 4102?) and perhaps for yours as well, you'd have to call them to find out. At least one vendor of these units has recently pulled them because of a high failure rate, and I've heard other incidents of the same. The 12-volt ones give good service. Points/condensor are inexpensive and last for at least 10,000 miles if properly installed, and is perhaps an option to keep open.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 17:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Thanks for the info I start my search.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 17:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I had an Autolite vacuum rebuilt by Max Merritt and it only lastesd two years before it failed. I now am using a Delco unit from a later car but at least I have readily available advance units without resorting to expensive and unrelaible rebuilds. the car seems to run fine even though the advance curve is likely not exactly to spec..

Posted on: 2010/10/29 18:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Dave do you have suggestions as which Delco distributor will work with my 1948. From your comments I assume the Delco vacuum advances are readily available.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 19:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The original equipment Delco for 1948 was #1110811
Max Vacuum Advance 7 Degrees, Max Governor Advance 9 Degrees

Later distributors will also fit, but the advance curves are different.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 22:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The Delco distributor # provide by BdeB is what is on my car which originally used an Autolite as well. Delco vacuum canisters are much more common and I had two of the NORS Niehoff Delco replacements in my parts bin so I have a supply to last a lifetime. They may still be available from NAPA also. I have yet to see an Autolite for the 356" engine car on ebay so they must be very rare. As mentioned the advance curve is not to factory spec but I have not noticed any difference between the two. I felt really bad that the rebuilt one lasted such a short time. The diaphragm material in the rebuilt one was paper thin and simply ripped apart and I don't want that expense again simply for authenticity which no one will notice anyway.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 9:01

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved