Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 238

DavidM, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 22nd Series Seats Restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Where would you look to get hold of the faux wire spoke wheel covers ? they really do add to the car. The Chrome wheel hubs look good also. The only thing with hub caps is that they fall off much too often.

I restore not to sell, but just because my dream is to own such a old classic. Perhaps my son may want to sell later on in his life.

Yes I agree. Only the most picky would complain if green much lighter than origional. Should carpet color be the same color as car or seats ?

Posted on: 2010/11/7 13:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only thing with hub caps is that they fall off much too often.

If that happens, there is something wrong. Check the tension on the clips that retain the caps.

The faux wire wheel covers are VERY rare and probably not found easily. Just keep shopping and maybe you'll get lucky.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 14:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Heres more seat pics for ideas or Info

Attach file:

jpg  (46.79 KB)
3217_4cd705834815a.jpg 930X620 px

jpg  (63.34 KB)
3217_4cd705ebd8457.jpg 800X602 px

Posted on: 2010/11/7 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
When putting carpet down on the Super Eight Convertible, 1948, should it be wool? And what color? If car is green.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 0:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
vinyl was not a later development (it was around before WWII) and "leatherette" is marketing speak for vinyl. BUT for 22nd series convertibles I agree the seat choices were leather or leather and bedford cord (a rather bumpier version than the prewar closed car option). The wiped grain trim on the lower door panels of 22nd juniors is vinyl. Was the leather and cord an option only on Customs or on Super 8's also?

It's your car, but I would think several times about the white top and seats - it's pretty obviously non-authentic. Do it if you like it enough to accept the impact on resale.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 9:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess I'm wrong about the date of emergence of vinyl, but I beg to differ that vinyl is necessarily the same as leatherette. This quote from Wikipedia describing leatherette:

There was considerable diversity in the preparation of such materials. A common variety consisted of a web of calico coated with boiled linseed oil mixed with dryers and lampblack or other pigment. Several coats of this mixture were uniformly spread, smoothed and compressed on the cotton surface by passing it between metal rollers, and when the surface was required to possess a glossy enamel-like appearance, it received a finishing coat of copal varnish. A grained morocco surface was given to the material by passing it between suitably embossed rollers.

Later improvements on leatherette may have used PVC, but certainly not the earlier material.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Gary - The wire wheels ARE real tasty, they are from Kanters
(just google the name and you'll go there and GAPE !!) also you'll faint at the cost $1,975.00 - this does not inc. shipping to the UK - our dreaded VAT (going up to 20% in 2011) - nor does it inc. extra shipping/handling costs over here getting them from H.M R & C where anything with a declared value on the shipping declaration of $30 has to go to be assessed.

Best regards Michael

P.S Owen_Dyneto is right about the hubcaps - when I got mine I took them over to my restoration shop to fit and try - what a job getting 'em off again - very nearly impossible - my car came with a tool for brake adjusting and wheel cover removal but it was not long enough to get the pressure to do the job - only a very long screwdriver specially bent and shaped at the end finally got it off !!!
Trust me no one has ever lost one.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 10:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
we can I hope agree on this much- "leatherette" really just means imitation leather. The one you describe I believe goes back to the 1920's or earlier as a way to coat fabric. It could be a good top insert material. While PVC goes back to the 1800's, the plasticized (soft) type became available in the 1920's - 1930's. Sheet vinyl was in use by post WWII (and on the Junior doora)and the commercially prevalent way to offer imitation leather. That said, few if any car companies were using any synthetic leatherette for seats at that time.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Ok, so agree leather seats is correct, or with bedford cord.
Wool carpet correct, prob light brown color.

If seats in cream and convertible top in cream, would this be better?

Door panels would be in leather too, or PVC ?

Engine Gray for sure.

For seats, was foam used to stuff the seats? (more with when restoring seats), or some other material ?

Could not wire wheel covers be used?

Posted on: 2010/11/12 10:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kanter's (and others) wire wheels sell for about $2,000.00. I just had an original set redone by Dayton Wire Wheel. They charged $650.00 per wheel. That, of course does not include hubcaps.
I needed five wheels done - I could only afford to get two and a half done at a time.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 10:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved