Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 214

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Changing from Junior to senior gauges
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Well I got the old instrument cluster out with some interesting contortions and expletives. I now have to id and organize all the wires under the dash, whew!

This leaves me with a question about the chrome rings around each gauge and clock. What is the recommended procedures of removing them for replacement? I have replacements that are in way better shape than the originals. I noticed that they have some sharp points that seem to grab the metal cut-out. I don't want to damage the fragile gold mesh around each gauge.

Thank you for any help.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 16:35
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Look carefully at the old rings if you can get a good look at the back of them. When you say sharp points on the new ones, does it look as if they may have been crimped at one time and that crimp has been opened or filed off.

If memory serves, on the last dash I took apart, it appeared the rings were held on by a crimp or raised ridge area behind the sheetmetal. I believe the construction of the assy is a sandwich with screen, padding and base metal then the rings and other bezels inserted and expanded in a few spots against the sheetmetal of the dash locking them together. If the new ones have real points instead, I wonder if they are a field item with a different attachment.

If you do remove them, most likely you will find the screen has some fading. You may then decide to refinish the screen because if the new rings don't go back exactly there will be little darker semi circles around any freshly uncovered area which will be very noticeable.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 19:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
The replacement rings came from a 55 400's dash assy. that I won on e-bay. They look to be the same as on my 56 Exec. If it's too much trouble, I just try to polish the old ones and leave them in place.

The rings may look the same, but the metal screen from the 55 is a different pattern and is slightly faded. I hope that I won't have to replace the metal screen with that one. I'll be able to tell more when I see the car tomorrow.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 19:45
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
if the trim rings are from a 55 400, the clock ring will be the wrong size. 56 clocks are a larger dia than 55's. there was also white cloth behind the mesh that should be replaced. there is a huge difference in the apperance of the dash between ones that have had the cloth replaced and ones that have not. if the interior of the car is gutted like you said earlier, the dash would be a lot easier to work on if it was unbolted and laying on the floor. that's how i do all my dash work. once i found out how easy a packard dash is to "drop", its the only way i'll work on one now!

Posted on: 2011/5/8 13:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I've replaced a few of the chrome instrument 'rings' and left those that polished up nicely. The gold mesh facing was undamaged and all 'senior' instruments are in place. I did buy a 56 senior clock to go with the 56 senior gauges.

Now I need to straighten out the wiring, more nights under the dash (will 'drop' the dash if needed)

The interior has been finished with new leather, fabric, carpet, headliner, windlace, and painted trim. It's truely a beautiful sight. I'll post some pictures soon.

Posted on: 2011/5/8 21:43
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I got the interior restored prior to my TL system going TU (or in this case...DU - Dagmars UP) Here are some pics...

Attach file:

jpg  (166.95 KB)
2993_4df1202e8c9ae.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (189.23 KB)
2993_4df1205051228.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (203.99 KB)
2993_4df1206004bf4.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (151.07 KB)
2993_4df1207181421.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (167.53 KB)
2993_4df120875888f.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/6/9 14:36
Bob

Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved