Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 174

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

servicing the front turn signal lights on a 51
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The front parking lights/turn signals on my 51 were in lousy condition - sometimes they would work and sometimes not. I found that O'Riley sells a light socket CTI 85003 that is almost a dead ringer for the courtesy lights under the dash. The only difference is that the courtesy lights have two uniform side prongs, the front lights have two elements with an upper and lower prong. I took a small screwdriver and tap hammer and tapped around the lip of the light socket. In just a few seconds, the socket was out. You should be able to reach the wires behind the chrome surround. I installed a longer wire to make it easier to reach. I installed the replacement socket, using JB Weld to adhere it. The new unit had prongs around the lip, which I removed. I had to solder it in several places after the epoxy had set in order to ground it. Now I have a nice bright park light and turn signal.

Just make sure you test it before soldering the wires and putting the shrink tubing on it - the turn signal should be the dimmer light, and the turn signal the brighter one. And it won't work if you don't solder the socket to the chrome!

Posted on: 2011/5/23 22:13
 Top  Print   

Re: servicing the front turn signal lights on a 51
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Interesting however all the JB weld, the soldering and breaking off tabs was not necessary at all. Replacement sockets that are almost identical to the origional sockets are available at any good auto supply although they will not be listed under Packard. You have to go through the book and look at the pictures.

Found it was a lot easier to remove the whole turn signal assembly than try to replace the socket in the car. Makes it a lot easier to rewire the thing.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 10:38
 Top  Print   

Re: servicing the front turn signal lights on a 51
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Now you tell me! Oh well, it was raining and didn't have anything else to do. At least they work now.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 16:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved