Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Windshield wiper mystery - 1956 Clipper De Luxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I have now checked the the Bowden cable and the plastic slide.
When I operate the the wiper knob, nothing happens at the "clamp affair" at the metal rectangle on top of the motor. The Bowden cable must have broken, as everything seems to be ok on the top of the motor.
To get the wipers to work I have to push the plastic slide lightly all the way to the right (driving direction), and to stop the wipers, the slide to the left.
The wipers and the speed regulation work fine, albeit "manualy" set.
Seems that I have 2 different defects at the same time.

Nothing have been touched or removed before the problems occured. The arc control hoses are not to be found, and must have been removed years ago.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/5 10:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Remove the cable from the clamp and check the end. It's possible the little flat spot or crimp on the end holding the washer has worn or broken off. If that is good, then you'll have to pull the assy and find out what has happened at the switch end.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.19 KB)
209_501e9e91ed7f6.jpg 640X600 px

Posted on: 2012/8/5 11:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
The clamp is ok.
What`s the trick to loosen the control knob?

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/5 13:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Knob itself is same as all 55-6. Place a small screwdriver blade in the notch and push in to release the clip from the groove on the shaft. Pull the knob out to clear the groove while the clip is held in released position.

Once the knob is off, pull off the washer, spring and lever so the nut can be removed.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.02 KB)
209_501ec0ab43b86.jpg 640X410 px

jpg  (14.67 KB)
209_501ec10aef894.jpg 614X187 px

Posted on: 2012/8/5 13:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks. This is what I call service .

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/5 14:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I am not as versed as HH at Packard - not even in the ballpark, but as I recall, there is a screw that holds the Bowden cable in place near the "affair" as you guys are calling it. I am thinking that this would be a quick thing to check first before pulling the knob assembly. If the screw came loose, it seems the Bowden would fail to move the "affair."

You can see that screw right at the top of the Bowden just inches prior to the "affair."

Posted on: 2012/8/5 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
JeffM.
Thanks for input, but "sadly" the Bowden cable is held in place.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/6 2:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
To day when checking the wipers once more, the wipers would scarcely move at all.
As I`m a bit confused to put it mildly, I wonder if any of the Packard Professors, would take the time to explain how the wiper set up works.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/6 5:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Someone will answer better than me, however, they work by vacuum and mechanics. Notice the hoses from the wiper motor. Two of them go down the passenger side of the engine compartment and into nozzles near the transmission. This is where the vacuum is pulled.

When your Bowden moves the plate, you are allowing the vacuum pressure to apply to the wiper motor. The motor has a paddle inside it, and it is the paddle on which the vacuum acts. The paddle is pulled left, then right, then, left, etc. - like a grandfather clock. Notice the bottom of the wiper motor is shaped like an arc. This is the shape of the paddle's movement. The pivot point is on the top.

The paddle is connected at its pivot to a plate just behind the wiper motor. When the wiper motor is mounted, that plate sits snugly inside another receptacle plate. When the paddle moves back and forth, the plates are rotated, and the receptacle plate has a shaft that the wiper cables are tied to. When the shaft turns, the cables are pulled, and the wiper moves.

The best picture I've seen of this is at Figure 7 on page 4 of this part of the manual:https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect13_Instruments.pdf

Did you, by chance, open the wiper motor? When I did, I could never get it to work again. Sure, I could get it back together, but I could not get it to work. It needs to be vacuum tight. I got frustrated and sent it to Ficken for a refurbish. When it came back, it worked fine.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 8:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Notice the hoses from the wiper motor. Two of them go down the passenger side of the engine compartment and into nozzles near the transmission. This is where the vacuum is pulled.

In the stock Packard, there are typically two sources of vacuum. In 55-6, one is from the intake manifold via a port near the base of the carburetor and the other is from an auxilliary vacuum pump mounted to the bottom of the oil pump. Both sources go to that "nozzle" which in actuality is a balance valve. Under normal conditions, intake source will be stronger and valve will favor it. Under load or acceleration, the aux pump will be stronger and valve will configure to block the intake and give priority to the pump. In conjunction with the oil pump source there is a check valve just as the vacuum port exits the block. Passenger side, about in the middle just above oil pan. That should be checked to make sure it's in good condition.

Cars with a modified oil pump usually have the vacuum section removed. In those cars, only the intake source is available unless an extra source is provided such as the dual section fuel pump earlier Packards and most other cars used or, as at least one owner has done, add a diesel car alternator which has an aux pump built onto the back.

Otherwise, all is as described. The slide valve on top of motor has a sealing affair provided by a smooth clean surface, grease and spring tension from a flat spring under the rectangular box. It's possible one or the other has dried or has an issue and vacuum is leaking resulting in low power. You mentioned the washer isn't working. Since it's source is also off the balance valve, make sure nothing is disconnected or leaking in that setup. If so, it could be responsible for low vacuum to the motor. Assuming no mechanical binding has occurred, vacuum hoses are all tight and in good condition, more probable is the motor needs a rebuild. Fickenhttp://www.wiperman.com/ is the best choice.

You might possibly gain something by doing the lube as suggested in an early service counselor. That has helped some avoid a rebuild.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL23NO10.pdf The article is on the last page and since Trico oil is not readily available, vacuum pump oil has been substituted. Others have used different but will let them mentioned what and if successful.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 8:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved