Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

Peter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '54 oil filtration question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I asked "the Man" from Wix recently about his WIX 5180 filter recommended for the Packard by-pass sysem and his response was:
The Wix 51080 has Beta Ratios of 2/20 = 6/20 (50% efficient at 6 microns/95% efficient at 20 microns). Wouldn't think you would want anything more efficient on this engine.

David Hogue

Vice President of International Sales & Marketing

Wix Filtration Corp.

One Wix Way, PO Box 1967

Gastonia, NC 28053-1967

(704) 869-3321 Office

(704) 864-9861 FAX

My comments follow:

As I understand it, wear occurs when the particle size is greater than the oil film thickness. Since the oil film thickness is from 0.5 Micron to 15 micron we are screwed in the long run. I have just fitted an Amsoil 2 micron absolute (98.7% efficient at 2 micron) filter to my 1938 Twelve and am assessing the results after 1000 miles of operation ( I need to get a particle analysis done) ) I have been onto many of the oil filter sites and an alarming recurring thread is that the filters DO NOT capture sludge and that filters are good for gross contamination but regular oil/filter changes are more important than filter size.

I would consider the standard Packard By-pass filter to be of minimal effectiveness and would suggest that an oil change every 500 miles would be more efficient ( CHANGE FILTER EVERY 1,500 MILES).
I change the oil and filter on my 7 other " on the road" Packards every 10 years or 1,000 miles, whichever occurs first. It works for me.

Best regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 4:58
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 oil filtration question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Engine wear is the result of constant engine speed changes and heating and cooling cycles, especialy under hi demand and engine temerature running to cold or too hot.
THe more frequent the engine speed changes and the more frequesnt the heating and cooling cycles and demand placed on an engine before reaching operating temperature the more the wear will take place and fastest in time and service miles.

Revving and engine (while in nuetral) is a major wear promoter too. Especialy cold.

The discussion of particle size:
So how does the partial flow filter compare to the full flow filter in terms of microns????? i.e. if the full-flow filters the oil, RELATIVE to PArTICLE SIZE, no better than the partial-flow filters the oil then partial flow vs full flow arguments are meaningless.

Or to put it another way:
If the full-flow lets the same small particles pass thru it that the partial flow allows to pass thru then partial vs full is meaningless.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 6:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved