Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gas mileage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
With gas now at about $1.40 @ liter (Approx.$6.00 per US gallon) here in Ontario I am curious as to what Packard owners get in miles per gallon with their Packards. In an PAC Cormorant edition in the early 1990's featuring the Packard Clipper one of the articles compared a 1947 Custom with a Cadillac Model 62. The Packard owner claimed that he was able to get up to 23 mpg at highway speeds with his 1947 Custom with the 356 engine and overdrive transmission. My 47 has the same engine and transmission and at 55 mph I seem to be getting no better than 12-15 mpg on a US gallon. The engine in my car is a bit low on compression but is in excellent state of tune otherwise. I don't do a lot of long highway trips with the car but it would be nice to get better mileage when I do unless my 15mpg is a more realistic number than that suggested in the article. What do you get for highway mileage?

Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Gas mileage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Clipper47: Here is a question I would like to ask, and see if someone has the answer.

What was the first diesel powered car in the USA.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:50
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Don't know what the first diesel auto in the US was, but I do know that my 56 Clipper ( 352 V8, t/u) was getting about 20-22 mpg on the hiway. Don't know what it will get once its back up and running.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
john, What has this question have to do with the topic of this thread? I know my old VW Diesel used to get 55MPG and my Mercedes 240 about 40mpg but they weren't Packards. In any event I think maybe the beer baron Busch family built a car around 1900 since they held the US patent from Herr Diesel.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 20:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I think you already know this one... but it was a 1923 (?) Packard sedan equipped with the smallest Cummins marine 4 cylinder diesel by Clessie Cummins. Built in late 1929,it was driven to the New York auto show January 6 1930.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 23:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
You are correct Rusty. The Packard averged 35 miles to the gallon while making the trip to New York.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/6/25 6:23
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved