Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1929 384 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Connecting rods should not be that hard to find, though you may have to purchase an entire engine to get them. I do believe the 385 rods can come out thru the top, it's the 3-3/16 bore engine (the 320) where they are larger than the bore. If I'm wrong, some will quickly correct me. In any case it's no big deal to raise the piston part way, remove the piston pin, and then take the piston from the top and the rod from below - lots of us have done it. Alternatively you can remove the cylinder bores with pistons still in it by removing the rod caps and then separating the bore from the crankcase.

As to the crankshaft, no shortage of places that deal with these though you may not find one in your back yard. If you can't find a shop willing to deal with the counterweight removal or the crank length, let me know.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 13:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 384 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Alex K wrote:

with all this in mind I have some questions

how much of an ordeal would it be to fix this thing up?

That would depend upon the condition of the engine

Quote:

about how much can I expect to have to spend on a complete rebuild doing as much of the work as I can in my garage?

This is a poured babbitt bearing engine. If the mains are in need of work, then you need someone that can pour the bearings and do a through-bore on an engine of this length. That can get expensive when shipping is included. Pistons, rings, bearings, and so forth can get expensive.

This also depends upon the condition of the block, head and crankcase. Cracks and faults in these components can require very expensive repairs.

Quote:

and about how much of it will I have to farm out to a machine shop?

In my experience the babbitt bearings are the biggest cost for machining, unless the engine needs sleeving or major crack repairs.

Because I don't know the engine, I can't give you a very precise cost for the machining work. For me, the challenge has been finding artisans that can actually do the work.

But, for a complete rebuild of a 1930 engine, where I did about 1/2 of the manual labor, the cost was approx 15K: approximately 6K was machining and bearing work.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/4/25 13:35
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved