Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 226

Ozstatman, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1950 2395 Floor Pans
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rustjunkey
See User information
Hi Guys,
First, as a new Packard owner and member of your esteemed group, I must say that I have found you all to be extremely helpful and friendly!
That said I have two questions,
#1 How in the *%#@* do I remove the pictures of my 1937 Buick hubcaps from my registry listing? I am going to email the proper picture of the 2395 to Mal and have him try but any ideas are appreciated!

#2 Is there a particular preferred manufacturer of replacement floor and trunk pans for my 2395? I have replaced many floors in other vehicles but usually find complete passenger floor or trunk pans where needed or at least complete front or rear floor pans. For the Packard I have only been able to find only four piece passenger compartment replacements and only a lower trunk floor. I also need a spare tire well and would prefer to replace larger sections of the passenger compartment floor. Any carefully guarded secrets? Let me know please.
Thanks again,
The Rustjunkey

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 2395 Floor Pans
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Repro Packard sheetmetal isn't high demand so not a lot of options. Not sure whose or what you have found but Kanterhttp://www.kanter.com/packard/pac-450.html offers some repro pieces for the 48-50's. His listings are down in the group 30 areas on that linked page.

There is another company that advertises repros on ebay. No idea who makes Kanters or if they are both made by the same company but the ebay items are somewhat generic. Those who have used them all report they are not just a cut old out and weld new piece in item. They require a lot of cutting, fitting & bending and will work but not look that original.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rustjunkey
See User information
Thanks, Howard.
I have rebuilt numerous floors, trunks, and unibodies, saving many classics and other vehicles deemed too far gone to restore, hence my moniker "Rustjunkey" given to me by friends and clients.
I well understand the amount of work involved, but if done properly it results in a near perfect repair that restores strength and value.
Given the wide number of manufacturers of replacement sheet metal, I am seeking the experiences of any of the Packard owners who have personally replaced floor or trunk sections and their satisfaction or lack thereof with various
suppliers.
If it would be of any help to other Packard owners I can report back to the members verbally and pictorially on the process as I will be performing a complete passenger compartment floor replacement and trunk floor replacement on my 2395.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 22:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
C2C makes reproductions for some of the Packards, mostly post war models. Here is their website:http://c2cfabrication.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=packard+front+floor+pan&search_in_description=1

I bought some rocker panels and a partial floor pan from them for my 51 and a battery box for my 39 - very reasonably priced. They did require some adjustment, but it wasn't too difficult. The metal is nice heavy gauge stuff, same as the original. I would suggest looking at them unless you have a very nice donor car close by.

Their products do show up on Ebay.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 8:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Given the wide number of manufacturers of replacement sheet metal, I am seeking the experiences of any of the Packard owners who have personally replaced floor or trunk sections and their satisfaction or lack thereof with various suppliers.

In the last couple of years don't remember any others mentioned besides C2C via people seeing their ebay presence and Kanter having Packard panels. If there's other suppliers I'm sure there would be some interest in knowing their contact info.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 8:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rustjunkey
See User information
Yes, so far C2C in Detroit is all I have found with the pieces for the Packard. It is advertised as 18 guage which will be strong enough. I have sent a querry to C2C asking if the floor pans are the same for the four door as the two door. I will also check in Packard literature and Manuals to see if I can determine if they are.
Woke up to almost 1 foot of new snow. Bleech, Spring in the Sierras

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rustjunkey
See User information
I just went through the 1948-54 Parts Manual and find no plates relating to floor pans Series 23 two or four door. I find the parts numbers listed in Sections 30.8005 - 30.8044 but do to my limited experience with Packard parts terminology need help deciphering whether two and four doors have the same floor pans.

Attach file:

jpg  (80.98 KB)
6023_516d63c67099f.jpg 648X486 px

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Floor pans are the same for 2 & 4 door cars.

The front repair panels from C2C are missing some of the contours that are present in the factory stampings and the depressions for the body mounting bolts are only shallow dimples as opposed to the deeper ones in the originals. They take a lot more work to fit than the 1951-54 repair panels.

Their trunk repair panel is better but still has only shallow dimples for the rear body mounting bolts and is missing the small raised dome in the middle that is needed to provide clearance for the fuel tank sending unit wire. I didn't use the trunk repair panel as I had a used original that turned out to be OK.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 0:34
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rustjunkey
See User information
I will modify and restamp the body bolt depressions to the preper depth and whatever other necessary revisions as needed. I ordered the pans at 8:00 pm on Tuesday and once they arrive I will document their modification and installation and post pictures to this thread.
Thanks all

Posted on: 2013/4/18 20:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
It's really important to remember that when you are talking repro anything that these projects are being pursued by small outfits or private individuals and they don't have 1/100th of the funds that the OEM had when the original part was made.
One little ridge, bead, land, pocket--some detail might cost more to include in that part than the whole tooling cost to make the part without that detail, not a big deal to a corporation, but impossible for a cottage industry guy.
We're lucky someone is making Packard sheet metal, or any other parts period.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 9:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved