Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

humanpotatohybrid, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

356 valve cover
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
A straight edge has revealed that the rear valve cover is twisted, which explains the persistent leak at the rear bottom corner.
It has been suggested to install the cover with a shim midway between the bolts and then hammer the corner to create a reverse twist.
That might work for the bottom rear corner, but the top front corner is inaccessible when installed (manifold) and I am not real keen about hammering anything except wood.
Wouldn't a good sheet metal shop be able to remove the inner baffle, straighten the cover and reassemble? Or, I could look for a replacement, hoping that it isn't just as twisted as the one I have.
Any other ideas?
Thanks folks,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/7/2 21:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 356 valve cover
Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Maybe you could put one end of the cover in a vice, then twist the other end with a pair of very large water pump pliers? That cover seems to be a fairly sturdy piece. Someone must have abused it in the past to twist the entire cover.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/7/6 1:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Jeff, great minds must think alike. Yesterday, I put the cover in my woodshop bench vise and clamped two pieces of 2x2 oak about 24 inches long on each side of the other end and gently twisted. Took me a few times to reverse the twist and get it flat.
Test ride tonight is encouraging - no leaks so far.
Thanks Jeff.

Posted on: 2013/7/6 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
That's great. Much easier than finding a replacement. Cheaper too.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/7/7 23:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved