Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 166

Tom (Packin31), happy, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: '49 electrical - 6V ?s
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
About the trunk light. A wire from the right tail lamp runs through a junction and on to the trunk lamp. This is a direct run. Now, I have the same question that you do. What about a switch. It should come on when the trunk lid is lifted, but how. There has to be some kind of a switch to break the circuit when the trunk lid is closed. Right now I just don't have the answer. I have a 1950 Packard that I am rewiring. This is a more complicated job than I anticipated.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Trunk light does not go on when you open the trunk.It will only go on if you have your parking lights or head lights on.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 5:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Now, I have the same question that you do. What about a switch. It should come on when the trunk lid is lifted, but how. There has to be some kind of a switch to break the circuit when the trunk lid is closed.

There is an exploded photo of the lamp assy in post 4 of this thread, As you see, there is a mercury switch built into the socket assy that turns the lamp on and off when the lid is moved. As GTO mentioned, it is only operational when tail lights are on. In many of the assys, the contacts inside the switch have oxidized to the point it doesn't work. I don't know of any new direct install replacements available.

Some have had luck making some kind of commercial glass envelope mercury switch available at electronics stores work. That takes some ingenuity to mount and protect the glass. Those switches are low current so a possible issue. Mercury switches are being outlawed in more places so an alternative is a steel ball tilt switch also available at some electronics supply stores. Packard used those in later lamp assys but they also have oxidation problems.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 8:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved