Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: marks 52 300... continuing where dad gave up.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Thanks HH56... looking into the tank it looks like chrome... but I dont think it has ever been off the car. This one was my grandfathers new and was started in restoration by my dad. The tank straps still had the original tar/felt between the strap and the tank, and everywhere the bolts have been removed before has been easy going. These bolts were a bit rust laden and required a die set to remove the rust in the grooves. Im thinking you might be on to something with the pickup tube. It looks to be in perfect shape in the tank though. I might go ahead and fill the tank to full and see how the pressure is. If good pressure then it has to be the tube.
The original fuel pump is on the car but bypassed. That is a project for another day if at all with the current elect pump that was working fine...
I blew out the main line from the pump to the carb with an air hose and looked to be or sounded to be flowing good. So thinking the puckup tube might be the issue....

Posted on: 2013/9/11 21:10
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
A word about those electric fuel pumps. My '51 had one of those that bypassed the mechanical one when I bought it. One of the first problems I noticed with that car was that it sounded like it was over choked or set too rich at idle. Out on the road between 20 - 45 MPH it ran fine. Over 55 and up it began to sound fuel starved or running too lean plus losing power.
It turned out to be the "One flow rate fits all" electric pump. At idle the pump was pushing too much fuel into the carb nearly flooding it out. Between 20 to 45 mph the flow rate more or less matched the engine's need. Above 55 and up it started to fall behind and the engine became fuel starved. Rebuilt the mechanical fuel pump and removed the electric and all the engine problems went away. I have thought of putting one back on for priming purposes only but that's all.
Maybe some electric pumps can vary flow but I'd recommend getting your mechanical pump rebuilt ASAP.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 2:43
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Thanks jim for the wakeup... you have had the same issues I am currently having. I didnt think it w was the pump causing the problems but the rebuild I did to the carburetor. Now that you had the almost exact same issues explained I see the need for a rebuild on the pump sooner than I thought. I guess ill be ordering a kit this week.... then figuring out the original path for the fuel lines.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 7:20
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I know mine really had me stumped until the light slowly dawned. I should be able to help with the fuel line too.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 11:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
The original lines are pretty much in place and with a little bending and the right hose clamps I should be pretty much set up.. though the vacuum lines have been almost all removed. So I have no lines from the pump to the wiper motor or anywhere else they lead to or from... so some general mapping in that category is going to be the biggest help down the road.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
That won't be a problem. With all the valve inspection and work I've been doing on my '51 I've had a great chance to get "up close and personal" with those vacuum lines. Just let me know when you're ready.

Posted on: 2013/9/13 1:43
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Well the fuel pump has been removed... and was I think held on primarily by Muck Goo and Yuck. Those three are in my opinion assisting me in retaining most of the required fluids in the car... My grandfather was a businessman and not a mechanic! Though he owned a Packard dealership I'm convinced he was trying to prove how long a Packard could go without the engine or any other mechanical part being cleaned.

I got in touch with Hal Houghton with Classicpreservation.com and have a rebuild kit in route. Hal even had me send the air and fuel diaphragms to be pressed apart and repressed together. Im not sure he is charging extra for this extra service but the price of the rebuild kit itself was about 20 bucks cheaper than any of the other kits and is guaranteed to be right. He even called back several times to talk me through the process of taking the thing apart. Very patient and helpful. I would advise anyone to seek his assistance if attempting a pump rebuild for the first time.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.99 KB)
7518_52388662d6de7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (104.13 KB)
7518_52388676eb183.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/9/17 11:42
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
A quick question maybe some experience can answer o I t there. Now that the parts are on order, I'm curious what to soak the body of the pump in to remove the muck goo and yuck I cant see out of the parts. I have a gallon of Gunk brand carburetor and parts cleaner with the cool little parts bucket inside. Just not sure its safe to use on the cast aluminum body. Dont want to get it all pitted.
If this is good ill throw them in... if not throw me a bone... or an axle... what ever you have handy.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mark - Metal parts only in the cleaner. Valves and rubber parts will quickly disappear or be ruined. After you remove the parts from the cleaner wash down with water to stop the chemical action.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/9/17 17:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Thx JW, That's what I figured,,, I have the parts completely disassembled and no rubber or otherwise. The valves are in route from classic preservation. Just wanted to insure the aluminum would be ok in the carb cleaner stuff.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 22:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved