Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Summit Racing Studebaker-Packard meet
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I just found out about this show from my nephew on Saturday. Sort of ironic that the company that leads the charge to turn all cars into streetrods with the "#1 Summit kit" (350 Chebby SB, 350 TH trans, GM tilt column, Rustang II front end, Ford 9" rear end, recaro seats, power everything, E-Z wire kit)
puts on a show that attracts so many orthodox cars. I'll have to see about attending next year, I have kin that live very nearby.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Mayhbe Summit figures that when people see the originals they will want to "improve" them by turning them into street rods. I mean, look at that red '54 convertible ... it would obviously be better with a high-rise manifold, blower, GM 454 V-8, fat tires and mag wheels. Who could argue with that.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 9:44
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That's right, because--as we all know--"you can't drive those old cars"

Posted on: 2013/8/26 10:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Quote:
"Maybe Summit figures that when people see the originals they will want to "improve" them by turning them into street rods"

Wait a minute--you may be on to something. Maybe this is the automotive equivalent of the Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man"

Posted on: 2013/8/26 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
What a tasty comment ... I have never really been into street rods. They just didn't seem to make sense to me. I mean, I like new cars and I like old cars; but I like each type for its own qualities. To appreciate a 70-year-old car, you have to appreciate its engine, its brakes, interior, etc. You have to accept its shortcomings. New cars are marvels in technology and performance. But just as you wouldn't try to show-horn a 356 cid inline eight into a new Cadillac (good luck with that!), I don't think it makes any more sense to drop a 21st century V-8 into a 1940 car.

Every now and then I see someone advertising what appears to be a fully restored 1930s era Packard in Hemmings Motor News. This car looks great in the ad and there is wealth of information about it and its restoration. And then I come to the part where the original engine has been replaced by a 454 V-8, modern automatic transmission, modern air conditioning, and a 12-speaker Bose stereo system. I just about gag! What they actually have is a pseudo-modern car under a 1933 body. All that seems to be missing is the computer and air bags. I leave that car -- which is often priced like a 100-point Packard -- a start reading about an original 1947 Custom in need of minor restoration.

I feel better after that.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 11:11
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
That reminds me: I took my wifes cousin in my 36 120 coupe for a spin last Saturday night. He told me that his 09 nissan isn't as smoot than my 77 year old original Packard!

Posted on: 2013/8/26 12:12
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Summit has a cruise every weekend some are for differnt brands such as Studebaker one we were just at there is Buick ,Olds and Pontiac one comming up soon .
Switching drive train to keep a old car in use better than it being scrapped or not seen by people. There are some cars that appear stock on the out side which have modern drive trains and air which makes for nice cruising down the interstates.
When were were driving back from Summit Randy in his 400 my Clipper and my brothers Avanti we got a lot of thumbs up and horn salutes people go to pass and slow to look and non car people read the brand or model . The looks are part of reward for work and money it takes to have old cars.
Being a guy who likes different any power train but SBC is the right one for any car if its not stock.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 12:36
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It is interesting to travel in a mini caravan and get the looks from all the folks driving their mini-XXX.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Al & Randy, thanks for sharing. This Studebaker President coupe with rumble seat looks like the last of its kind. Its first signs of "dynamic lines" look ahead but it is hopelessly stuck in old stylistic features.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/8/27 0:36
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
What year is this studebaker guscha?

Posted on: 2013/8/27 6:30
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved