Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: English Spelling and Usage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The posts on this thread that stayed on topic have been very interesting to me. I have written several technical books and magazine articles both on Pontiac High Performance and Computer Languages. I was fortunate that my first wife was a technical editor for NASA during the Apollo days. She did that kind of editing on the racing books and articles that I wrote during that time. I learned from her how to edit my own text for the later publications.

IMO (excuse the internet acronym), proper writing, grammar and punctuation is a lost art amongst anyone younger than maybe 40??? But, also IMO, the prior will never be corrected because most people are lazy and don't care, particularly in this era of texting where acronyms and abbreviations rule. It doesn't bother me any more. I just presume that you are either young, ignorant, stupid or maybe speak spanglish or ebonics. That observation works for me. Screw the rest.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/2/11 21:20
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
When I first started reading PI, I was confused by the IIRC terminology. Did it mean: If I'm Reading Correctly or If I Recall Correctly or It is/isn't Really Correct or Is It Reality Calling?

So, I looked it up on Google and got some even wilder meanings. IMO UR far better spelling these thoughts out (Internet pun intended). The previous comments about Unique and Irregardless were appreciated and I'm trying hard not to be Judgmental (note the one "e") when someone confuses it's with belonging to something.

I have benefited with both the facts and opinions gathered from this site and both my Packard and I are better for the efforts of all who contribute.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Let me drop the bomb on this thread:

"Ask the man who owns one" is an example of poor grammar.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 18:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved