Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 153

humanpotatohybrid, Eugene Wescott, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 55-56 oil pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Oil pump float adjustment is covered in the SM. Check for dipstick interference woth float. Mine had interference. Had to cut about 1/4" from end of dipstick.

Posted on: 2014/5/4 18:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As can be seen in the picture I copied from the 55-56 manual on this site, the gasket is in plain site and carries a part number. My oil pumps have all had gaskets.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.86 KB)
23_5366e9e17cc32.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2014/5/4 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Craig,

respect your opinion, ,

this pump has spring set like the bottom picture, so we have the gears as an issue ,HV gears which i would of put on if they dropped in.

as your other points, will have to wait and see what happens when i get it running, i am not going to drag race, so i think pressure will be fine, i could test this pump now, but i want to get it on the road,

the egge pump i had held great pressure,,,,,and that didn't even have the PI design,

craug, i think your melling design is great, but like others i like the Packard,,

having the dist, shaft oil pump shaft on a single plane takes out the wobble, which is what the 2 piece created.

i made the tongue of shaft fit snug in dist gear, no movemnet there......

Posted on: 2014/5/4 20:57
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
v8, thanks,,

float, i followed packard, in a way its hit or miss, they just show you under pump, i was probaably at the wrong part of filter,

which i did before with no problems,,, the gears bind without the plate,

i hope i got float right , never had a problem with dip stick

yes cam is in,

ready to close up bottom.

thanks,,

Posted on: 2014/5/4 21:08
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
thanks randy,

so its under bearing,,

i see it now,,

well off comes pump............

thanks again randy,

i thought mine had one when i took it apart, and put it together,,

Posted on: 2014/5/4 21:15
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Riki Quote:
this pump has spring set like the bottom picture

No, it does NOT! The issue is NOT how the pressure relief spring is retained (gland cap--top or cotter pin--bottom), the issue is the length and shape of the sleeve valve and the length of the relief spring. Since the oil pan is not yet on yours, take the oil pressure relief section apart and you will find it is the Packard design. It CANNOT be the Olds design. That makes the only sense and your own pictures prove that.

Quote:
i am not going to drag race, so i think pressure will be fine

Most oil pressure failures reported to me in the V-8 were at IDLE or low engine speed. NONE were ever drag raced including my own 1955 Pat which had zero oil pressure at idle, a commonly reported behavior due to the deficiencies of the Packard oil pump DESIGN.

Quote:
i could test this pump now, but i want to get it on the road

I appreciate that you have expended time and energy "fixing" your Packard oil pump. But you cannot put lipstick on a pig and have it be anything but a pig. It's much cheaper in the long run while the engine has the pan off and is on an engine stand to buy the Olds pump and adapter kit from Jack Vines and fix it correctly now...otherwise, good luck.

JMHO

Craig

Posted on: 2014/5/4 21:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
craig,

this is it, also used in PI pump.

to late to stop now,...for my own sanity, need to see how this works,,

i have a pump that uses the bolt, i never used it,, been around here 40 plus years...

thanks for the input,

Attach file:

jpg  (78.22 KB)
4498_5367066f4c129.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2014/5/4 22:37
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
my parts book now has a drawing of gasket on plate 29a,, grp# and pt#,

thanks randy,,,,,,,,,

Posted on: 2014/5/4 23:15
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Did Packard make all their own components for the oil pump or was part of it vendor items. I wonder if a vendor had a ready to use stock length shaft and rotor assy -- perhaps used by others -- and the joint was there to utilize that already made item. Seems like it would be cheaper to make a joint and straight length of shaft to partially utilize something already made instead of going to the expense of machining a complete proprietary pump assy.

Yes, sorta. The Packard V8 oil pump gears are identical to those of the '50 Cadillac.

No, the Cad shafts are .005" larger diameter and different end, so they won't directly interchange.

Maybe, Packard just figured if it was good enough for Cad, they had Melling or whomever make a different pump body and shafts, but use the same gears with just smaller diameter holes.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/5/5 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i looked at a 56 cad pump, they extend the shaft to go into plate i guess,

guess thats where the idea came from....

Posted on: 2014/5/5 22:38
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved