Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

lug centric smoothies on a 24th series???
Just popping in
Just popping in

elevator_man
See User information
i have a 51 200 and i have a set of smoothie wheels for it. only problem is they are lug centric. i know i read some info on the topic, but i can't find it again. does anybody have any first hand experience with this. the wheels i got are wheel vintiques smoothies. one of the problems i have are the brake drum rivets and alignment pin. can i just clearance these to fit? the lug bolts are 9/16, so im not really worried about them shearing off or anything, but i would like the car to roll down the road somewhat smoothly. i had posted this in the post-war section, but i thought maybe i'd better ask the modification people instead of the stock restorers. somebody on here has to have done this, right??? its not a hot rod, street rod, or rat rod. mild custom at best. any helpful input would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/4/22 7:38
still on the right side of the grass...
 Top  Print   

Re: lug centric smoothies on a 24th series???
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I'm making no comment on desireability of original vs aftermarket wheels.
But lug-centric wheels are bad engineering - period. Rough calculation (5 9/16" lugs and a 3/16" thick wheel) shows several thousand psi on the lugs. Use whatever wheel you want, but shim the centers to transfer the weight to the hub for your own safety and that of others. My Packard is not on aftermarket wheels, but my daily driver is. A machined adapter plate will solve the rivet issue, but wheel offset should also be looked at in this fitment.

Posted on: 2014/4/22 11:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved