Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing ignition switch 1940 180
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Have been receiving very helpful responses regarding ignition coil problems with the subject Packard. Have actually been able to repair the coil, I think? One problem was the brass ground post for the wire to the distributor had been broken off and was soldered and epoxied back on. This didn't last and broke off again. Cleaned up post base and soldered primary coil wire to inside of the hollow post base for secure electrical connection. Filed down top of solder so it was flat and would butt up with bottom of the top half of the broken post. Was able to thread broken post base all the way to its base which allowed 2 full turns of a 10/32 coupling nut. Then turned in the top piece of the broken post till it bottomed out on the solder with enough thread left for the ground wire and nut. As Dave mentioned, I should look at the hot wire to the ignition switch, and as he suspected the wire looks bad. All the insulation to just were it enters the metal cable is gone and just taped over. Then the insulation as the wire inters the cable looks dried out. So the wire has to come out. Any advise on how to get the switch out of the dash and take the switch apart to get at the other end of the bad wire? The metal cable appears to be crimped right into the switch, yikes. Again, thanks of all the help.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 22:18
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved