Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 185

CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 Packard 110 - Column Shift Adjustment Help!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I guess I missed the memo about removing the spring washers. Which bulletin or service letter covered that? I would like to read more.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/6/6 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Ragtime:

And anyone else looking for 1941 110 parts. A guy in Motor City Packards is selling some 1941 110 parts at the PPG show and swap meet on Sunday. He has the following ad in our club newsletter.

1941 Packard 110 parts for sale. Complete front end suspension. Engine with all accessories, drive shaft and rear axle assembly. Steering column with gear box, steering wheel and all linkage. I will part out items separately. All for parts for $1000.00
Call Gil at (810) 750-9945 or e-mail at gilsherry.rebar@gmail.com

Call him if you are interested. I see he has the steering column and all linkages.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 16:05
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
They mention the spring washers in a few of the bulletins addressing the problem of sticking in gear. Check Service Letter Vol 17 #5 for a summation.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 0:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Drew,
Very helpful as I will be putting my linkage together this week. I'm wondering why in '43 they said to ditch the spring washers and then built Clippers in '47 and used spring washers....hmmm...

Posted on: 2014/6/7 1:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Hi All,

Just got done pulling apart and putting together the entire linkage system and the results are GREAT! Huge difference. Shifting is clear and positive.

Someone had spray painted over the various components with black paint and the combination of this, 74 years of grease and grime, and the wear and slop was all contributing to an indistinct feel on the gear shifter and inaccuracy in shifting. I separated all the components, cleaned and degreased them, stripped the paint off, then reassembled. I found spring washers at every connection and discarded these and replaced with new steel washers. In some places I had to fit several washers side-by-side until there was no more play and the cotter pin could just barely be forced back in.

I also found the center of each of the two bellcranks was worn out. There is a bronze bushing in here and on mine they had been worn oblong and were rocking side-to-side on the pivot shaft. I drilled these out and replaced with a new bronze bushing found at Ace hardware (which, surprisingly, was exactly the right length and didn't need to be modified in any way). The new fit is much better although a very slight wobble remains which, I suspect, is due to the shaft they pivot on being worn as well. Short of finding a NOS shaft, I'm not sure there is much to be done about this. I next installed a thicker spacer washer between the two bellcranks so that when I tightened the end bolt, it eliminated any wobble and allowed no lateral play.

On the steering column shaft, I replaced both castings at the top as well as the selector piece that travels between the two when you pull back on the gear shifter with NOS parts.

Lastly, I did adjust the rod connecting the bellcrank with the transmission shift fork to shorten it slightly and thereby slightly bias the transmission closer to "1st" gear while the gear shifter and assembly are all in neutral. This makes the neutral-to-1st shift shorter and the neutral-to-Reverse shift longer and is hopefully giving me the protection I need form inadvertently contacting reverse on the upshift from 1st to 2nd.

This was a worthwhile upgrade as it has made the car much more enjoyable to drive.

Thanks again to all of you for your guidance and quick help!

Posted on: 2014/6/7 13:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved