Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 167

happy, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: New Packard owner questions....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I live in Orlando and have used the (CI-4 formulation) Rotella since having had the engine in my '55 Pat rebuilt in 2004. During the late 1950s and early 1960s, in West Texas, we used 10W-30 Havoline, high detergent motor oil, year-round with good result. Like gasoline, the formulation of oils has changed. I use the Rotella, Diesel grade CI-4 oil because (to me and I am no chemist nor engineer) it would seem to be closer to what the cars need. The Rotella is becoming harder to find in the CI-4 formulation - being replaced by a new formulation with less (as I understand) ZDDP additive.

As previously advised, drop your oil pan and clean out the sludge. It is highly unlikely that your car was run on anything other than detergent motor oil but, even so, an accumulation of sludge and deposits may have accumulated depending upon how often and how thoroughly the car was serviced. Clean it out, examine the oil pump pick up and ensure that it's clean and you should be good.

Congratulations on your car. It looks to have been an exceptional buy.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/10/30 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
I just picked up my 55 Patrician, I am not a mechanic but I really want to learn. The engine started and runs nicely, although I have not driven it yet until I do all the maintenance. Today with the help of a mechanic I started to replace all of the fluids and noticed that it looks that you needed to remove the front axle to drop the oil pan. The old oil was real thin and smelled of gasoline, my mechanic convinced me that we should at least try by just changing the oil and filter, it started nicely but after a few minutes it started making noise. It looks like he was wrong, how do you get to the pan to scrape out the sludge and clean the screen? The same guy also told me that I did not need a thermostat after he changed the antifreeze. Help.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 16:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To drop the pan you need to lower the steering arms to provide clearance, and also you may have to remove the starter motor. You may also have to drop the left-side exhaust header. It's all in the shop manual.

Your mention of gasoline smell in the oil concerns me, perhaps the fuel pump diaphram has failed and you should attend to that before running the engine as the gasoline will just dilute the motor oil.

Running without a thermostat is NOT a good idea for several reasons.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Thanks for the information. I downloaded the service manuals from packardinfo but I cannot find the reference, that you mentioned, is it in the engine section or suspension? Anyone know a local Packard Dealer in Florida? Thanks

Posted on: 2008/11/10 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
to drop the pan, you will have to remove the left exhaust downpipe, the starter, and the steering linkage.

i did mine a few weeks ago, and it was a serious pain, but worth it

mine had the same symptoms, is the noise a hard steady tap? i would say its possible that one of your lifters is plugged and not filling completely or at all. a small piece of sludge, recently detached by the new oil added, can easily plug a lifter.

after reinstalling the pan, i refilled with three quarts of 10w-30, one quart of marvel, and one quart of off road diesel. start and run this mixture and it WILL clean out your lifters. then just change the oil out after a bit of running and add whatever oil you prefer.

while you have the pan down, there is no better time to check a few main bearings for wear.

good luck!

Posted on: 2008/11/10 19:05
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Marvel motor oil was mentioned by the son-in-law of the former owner as his favorite. This sounds like a Saturday job, nothing like jumping right in. I need to figure out the gasoline smell in the oil problem as well. Thanks

Posted on: 2008/11/10 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i would say that a broken fuel pump diaphragm is probably the cause of the gas smell.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 19:30
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
The fuel pump is located on the side of the motor right? I see it in the specs. How could that cause gas to seep in the engine oil? Is the diaphragm located in the carborator itself?

Posted on: 2008/11/10 20:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Not to appear condescending or a smart-ass, it sounds as though you're a true novice mechanic. Gasoline in the engine oil is most likely being sucked into the engine from ruptured diaphragm in fuel pump. I've had this problem, myself. Pull the fuel pump (it's simple) and the, "how," will become instantly apparent to you. If you were in Orlando, I've even got a ground-spare fuel pump - but a single action one for a Ford Y-block will fit and work.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 20:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved