Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 181

Nevada56Hudson, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Orphan Cars produced in your town
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, I found this interesting website which lists the various automakers and parts suppliers who built cars in Windsor Ontario and elsewhere in Ontario. Several are subsidieries of companies from across the river in Detroit and elseswhere such such as Packard,Pierce- Arrow and Graham-Paige but many were home grown products such as a 1900 steam car called the Bulmer. Interesting thread since it peeked my interest and I discoverd a lot about my hometown auto history that I might never have known so thanks for starting it!

http://www.windsorpubliclibrary.com/digi/wow/intro.htm

Posted on: 2008/12/10 12:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Clipper47, I was thinking of you specifically when I dug the following out. I believe this photo is from the MSU collection and no doubt some of us have seen it before. I'm not crystal clear on the date the Canadian plant closed but it was before WW II.

The second item, an article from the Canadian Auto Trader of January 1937 is perhaps less well known and I hope you find it informative. It is indeed interesting to see how much of the content of the Canadian-made Packards was Canadian origin. No longer sure who provided me with this article, it was many years ago.

From time to time I run across left-hand-drive Packards, often 1936 120s, with Packard-Canada patent plates and have thought this a bit of a curiousity. While not from such a car, I'm enclosing a picture of a Canadian plant plate from a 1934, photo I believe (not positive) courtesy of Jim Pearsall, noted Packard historian.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.55 KB)
177_494006e391383.jpg 750X596 px

jpg  (122.15 KB)
177_4940094cbb5a8.jpg 503X1280 px

jpg  (113.47 KB)
177_49400a96388e0.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/12/10 13:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Owen, Many thanks for that. I believe you posted the article in a previous thread when this subject arose awhile back on this site. I don't recall seeing the photo before (nice to see the old Red Ensign flag). I believe that the Packard Canada assembly plant closed in 1939 but when I don't know but quite likely shortly after Canada declared war on Germany in early September 1939 as auto production likely stopped in Canada shortly afterwards as well. I have never seen a Canadian data plate or until now even a photo of one so thank you so much for that also. Rarely a Packard comes up for sale that is advertised as Canadian made. The plants where they were assembled are still standing apparently and one is a condominium. When I am next in Windsor I will see if I can get some photos.

Posted on: 2008/12/10 15:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved