Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

Ross, Duncan Michael, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Great Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I happen to be 6'2" tall. I just measured my sitting down height and it comes to 39". The body diagram gives a seat height of 35".

Assuming the seat squashed when I sat down I could probably just squeeze into that car if I hunched my head a bit. But could not drive it with the top up.

I expect leg room would be a bit short too.

Such fancy body styles were not meant for above average sized people.

The roomiest sedans were big enough.At least they had lots of head room. And the back seat leg room was plenty to stretch out in.

But the sport models were not for us.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 13:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rusty, what particular year and body style were you referring to when you said you sat in it? Just curious.

My 34 is a closed car, I'm 5' 10", and even with the adjustable seat all the way back, the leg room for the driver would be none to generous either for a guy your size.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've found that nearly all cars prior to 1960 have pedals rather close to the seat as compared to later cars after 1960.

BUT, most cars such as my 56 Executive and a few prewars i've driven or sat in always had plenty of leg room for me. The difference is that the seat cushion is usualy rather high and more like sitting in a chair than laying in a lawn lounger like more modern cars.

Leg room has never been a problem for me. Usualy head room or having to look out over the top of the windshield frame which makes me feel like i look awkward in the car. Comfort never a problem. Just an awkward feeling that i am sticking up out of the car like a sore thumb.

Most prewar cars seem to have the steering wheel well positioned too. A LONG way from the dash. But my Executive has the steering wheel rather close to the Dash.

It's one thing to sit with my knees bent like in a living room chair. But it's another thing to have legs hitting or near steering wheel.

Prewars seem just right except for my line of sight.

The 56 Executive really needs the mast jacket extended about another 3 inches or more up toward the driver.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 14:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PackardV8, take another look at the dimensional drawing of the 34 and see how close the top of the steering wheel is to the windscreen! If you do "hand over hand" full wheel turning, you will wrap you knuckles on the glass - that takes a bit of getting used to.

Gusha, the 38/39 Brunns seem to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" style, I personally think they are stunning - I've only ever seen 2 "in the flesh" as they say.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 15:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved