Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 199

Pack120c, Charles, Todd W. White, RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

New 6V generator to alternator option
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
I just saw this and wanted to pass the info on to my follow
Packard lovers.

We now have a new option for keeping 6 volt systems but having 75 amps of power.

Here is a 6-volt alternator that LOOKS and mounts like our old 6v generators. Really a neat idea at about the same price as a new 6volt generator.

Take a look. Maybe it fits your needs.

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/blog/?p=13

DanL

Posted on: 2009/1/27 11:20
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Re: New 6V generator to alternator option
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Quote:
Caveats
One of the things that keep this alternator from being a true bolt in replacement is the lack of an indicator lamp circuit. Some cars used the armature wire on the generator to light an indicator light or in the case of Buick and Packard it was used to trigger the starting relay. The indicator lamp circuit in the newer alternators can be used to replace this functionality. We are currently talking with Powermaster representatives and we hope that this will be an option available in future revisions of the product.

Looks like 'Some cars used the armature wire on the generator to light an indicator light or in the case of Buick and Packard it was used to trigger the starting relay.' could be an issue. Otherwise I want one! $395.Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/1/27 11:26
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
If they came this far with the product, I would think that an indicator circuit would be a minor addition. I think it said they have a dozen different models already.
DanL

Posted on: 2009/1/27 11:33
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Dan, I think that is a 12 volt alternator. I went to several sites including Powermaster who builds it, and they all appear to be 12V. Jegs, Performance Parts, and Pacer Performance all carry it as a 12V. Please prove me wrong, as it would be a great option!

Posted on: 2009/1/27 23:08
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am glad that the prices have come down on these. When I first saw them, I swear they were close to $500. If they get a big cheaper, then perhaps when the car is further along I make have to make replace the GM 10si alternator I have now with one of these. Hopefully by that time they will have the charging lamp circuit in place.

Now that being said, I remember seeing a diagram somewhere on how to wire a charging light up to a single wire alternator. I belive it required an inline diode in the mix. I will have to see if I can find that again.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 0:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Denny,

I believe it is a 6 Volt Alternator.

Here are two quotes that lead me to say that:
Quote:
"The PowerGEN puts out more amperage than any other 6 Volt alternators and has the added bonus of looking original and bolting into the original position" .."For 6 Volt applications and areas where a vintage look is desired the PowerGEN is an excellent choice."

They don't label it clearly in the heading or pictures. I can see where your question comes from as I re-read the release. I also got an email notice from the manufacturer that was more clear, but I can't find it now after clearing my email.

How do you re-read it?

DanL

Posted on: 2009/1/28 0:21
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Here's what I'm looking at:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Powermaster/757123/10002/-1

And here is a review from a customer (found at J.C. Whitney site:
"I ordered this item thinking that since my 1951 chevrolet was a 6 volt and this cleary says for a 1951 in the add, that this would work on it. When I recieved this item the instructions in the box told me that this was for a 12 volt system, or a 6 volt that has been converted. Now what am I to do. Unless you have a 12 volt system I do not recommend this item."

Maybe I'll make some calls . . .

Posted on: 2009/1/28 7:58
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
DanL
How do you re-read it? That depends on the e-mail system you are using. If you use Outlook, you just go to the Deleted items folder and find it and click. It will open. If you have emptied the Deleted folder, you're out of luck.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 9:17
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I did a little investigation and they DO make a 6V model. You can get one through Jegs.com (800-345-4545) model pwm-82106, or Summitracing.com (800-230-3030) model 713-82106 for $380. It is described as a black, 75 amp Ford swing mount model for 6V positive ground. I don't know if it will mount like the old generator and they make no claim that it will fit a Packard. Wiring wise, they say its a "one wire" installation.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.17 KB)
564_498085ef97a22.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2009/1/28 11:23
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Thanks for the detective work, Denny.

So you confirmed that they do make both 6V and a 12V models. That price is not bad for new equipment that 'mocks up' like original parts.

I think this represents a very good upgrade option for a 6 volt system especially a 'driver.'

Thanks for all the comments. Has anybody dug out their MC/Visa yet?

DanL

Posted on: 2009/1/28 13:07
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved