Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: ultramatic transmission oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Their products can be bought online or from speed shops.

Or at most any normal parts store.

Posted on: 2009/3/17 1:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Yes there is one over the vent on mine.(1951 300)but you could never add oil there.It wont go down.You also can not get at the dip stick "NO WAY."Also checking the level is questionable. It does not make much sence.I have the book,I read it. What does it mean?? I had a better reply but I lost it after typing for 30 mins.I dont know what happend there. Inept PC operator. Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
There is no access cover on my 52 packard to gain access to the tranny dipstick. Even the manual says there is an access door there, on page 28 of the Ultramatic section of the service manual.

What a pain to pump fluid up and into the filler, I use a piece of clear tubing that I sneak up through the engine compartment, but I have to remove it each time to check the level. The manual shows that the Packard maintenance shops had a j-shaped filler on their pumps.

Additionally, how do I drain the converter - and then how do i fill the converter - the image below seems like the cover is removed and the oil drains through the flywheel.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.54 KB)
471_4a29ef44585be.jpg 567X598 px

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:23
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brians51: The forum times out if you have a lengthy post so that's probably why you lost it--if you plan a lengthy post, do it in Word or something and copy/paste or just get in the habit of doing a copy before you hit submit and if it gets lost, just log in again and paste.

The ultra breather has a mesh material inside. That or the entire breather has to be removed before you can add fluid there. The normal Packard owner took his car to the dealer for service so dipstick being underneath was no big deal. What the book means is start the engine, let it run to make sure the converter is filled, then stop engine and check within one minute or the converter will drain down again and the reading will be false (indicate more full than actually is)

Carlmadsen. I believe the access they are referring to is the one over the breather--although I think the 50 might have had one over the dipstick. To drain the converter, there are 2 plugs on the side or front of the converter. Loosen one for a vent, then turn 180 degrees and remove the other to drain. To fill converter, believe it is add 7 qts to trans, start engine to let it pump into converter, then add the remaining 3-4 while engine running and check level & top off as necessary

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Thanks, I found how to drain / fill the converter on the next page (I shouldn't have stopped reading on page 28).

The entire manual is here: Service Manual Look for the Ultramatic section.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.42 KB)
471_4a29f01249f3e.jpg 833X226 px

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Yeah, I pulled the mesh out...Didn't help.Thanks for the tip on the site. I almost lost it when I "lost it" BHW

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Sorry Carl, I forgot, the converter should have plugs 180 degrees apart. loosen one then take the other out to drain. Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Carl, I forgot to mention I type agonisingly slow.Hence I didn't see your post.Sorry. B

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
BigKev-

Looks like another good topic for the FAQ section...

HH56, Brians51-

So, there is 2 places to fill the transmission, one is the vent tube that has the dip stick in it, and one is a filler hole plug on the rear of the tranny, which has an access panel under the front seat. Correct?

Attach file:

jpg  (76.67 KB)
471_4a29f4adc6573.jpg 1009X581 px

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brian, have you removed the entire breather & still can't fill? There is something wrong if you can't fill at all thru there. If going thru the breather, maybe there is a problem or a clogged screen at the bottom end. Granted, it is slower thru the breather and wouldn't want to do the entire load but to just add, thru the breather with a small funnel is where most do it. Removing the breather & it should just pour in.

carlmadsen, the breather is what is under the access plate and is the item sticking up just above the speedo gear.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved