Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Towing 56 with Ultramatic
Just popping in
Just popping in

scottsEx
See User information
Hello. I have purchased my first Packard, a 1956 Executive which had been sitting for sometime.I have got the engine running, the T/L and pushbutton shift working but now I need so advice. I would like to tow this car about 40 miles to my home. I have access to a tow dolly localy and I have read in the owners manual that you can tow up to 200 mi but not to go over 30 mph, I would need to go about 45 mph to get her home, would you recomend I pull the driveshaft? Any tricks with the pushbutton shift? Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 12:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Towing 56 with Ultramatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on your first--The Executive's a very nice choice.

I very much recommend pulling the drive shaft loose from axle and either tying it out of way or remove entirely. Not knowing the condition of ultra, would recommend caution until you're able to thoroughly check it out.

It is also not a good idea to tow these cars front wheels down because the stress to pitman arm in this position has been known to crack them at the steering shaft splines.

As to PB shift, either have ignition on or bypass the auto park relay.

If you want to prevent the PB from going into park when key turned off, disconnect the tan wire from top relay (probably silver with 4 terminals). That will keep it where ever you put if before key turned off. You will have to reconnect before it will go into park again or to bypass auto park totally, then remove the tan and yellow & connect together.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 12:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Pull the rear universal and tie the drive shaft up to the frame. That way you don't have to worry about the PB or the Ultramatic. Wrap some tape around the rear universal so you don't lose it. I wouldn't go over 45 mph because these are heavy cars and will push you around a little bit. Double check the tires before you start your haul.
Good luck with your new Packard! And welcome to the forum.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 14:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Just trying to be helpful go to U-haul you can rent a 4 wheel trailer for around fifty bucks comes with tie downs and no need to crawl under car to remove drive shaft. They come with the tie downs and a fender that folds to allow opening the door on your car. If car does not drive or run bring a come along to load car onto trailer. Just a suggestion but worked great for me have used them a few times local is easy. one way a little more involved. Takes all the worry about tires brakes and such as the trailer has brakes also safer in my opinion

Posted on: 2009/3/25 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
I agree that a rental trailer (with trailer brakes)is the first choice. Otherwise you must take Randy's advice and drive slow. Don't forget that the tow vehicle's brakes will have to stop the Packard (over 4000 lbs.) and the tow vehicle. Most cars/trucks stopping capacity is designed for that vehicle's weight only. Good luck and be safe.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
I agree that the rental trailer is the best! i have towed many a project and parts car with my tow dolly. and while they do work, they have a nasty tendency to cave in the bottoms of the front fenders with the dolly's fenders/wheels if your not SUPER CAREFUL!!!! And a tow dolly is next to impossible to back-up should the need arrise! and they have a problem with the straps not being exactly packard tire size friendly. if you must use the dolly, disconnect the drive line as stated earlier and dive slow and cautiously! also stop often and check your straps!

Is your exec a sedan or hardtop? good luck with her! I miss mine very badly! they are great cars to drive!

Posted on: 2009/3/25 18:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

scottsEx
See User information
Thanks for all the help! I have line up a car trailer and as the car "yard drives" I can drive on to the trailer.Car is a two door. Body is very straight and rust free but the interior needs attention. One last question for now, I have an oil leak from the front seal area and was wondering what the two metal lines that run under the front pulley are? Thanks again, this is the best organised and helpful car forum I have run across!

Posted on: 2009/3/25 20:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those would be the oil lines from transmission to oil cooler. The Packard transmission oil cooler is the flat box like object in the path between water pump and radiator bottom outlet--drivers side of engine on V8's.

Be careful and gentle when working with the radiator hoses. The tubing is notorious for rusting almost to nothing on the oil coolers. Sometimes the radiator hose is about all holding them together.

The original oil seal is a graphited rope arrangement. Those can still be had but to my mind a good machinist can make an adapter to replace the one holding the rope. That way a modern neoprene seal can fit. Had that done on my car.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
T'ultra has a REAR pump. So i can not think of any reason why the drive shaft should be removed.

Whith PB, just turn on the ignition sw. select nuetral, and then disconnect a battery cable.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 21:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agreed, but to my mind without a good history on trans something could be amiss and towing would cause more damage. From what I can remember most Packards seemed to be parked when something in trans acted up.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 21:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved