Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Anonymous
Re: Authenticity vs. Modification
A few years ago, I was heading west to Seligman, Arizona, on old U.S. HIGHWAY 66 (now called "Route" 66 because of a goofy pop. song of the 1940's). Headed to a car show for "Route 66" buffs.

In my rear view mirror, suddenly appeared a bright orange car that at first I THOUGHT was a late 1930's Ford or Mercury.

We do not allow "ordinary man" cars to pass twelve cylinder Packards. So I picked up my speed from my normal 60-70 to a bit faster. The orange thing was still right on my tail.

Knowing that the top speed of pre war Ford products was barely 80, I figured it wouldn't take too much to lose this guy.

W R O N G

As my speedometer passed 95 or so, he blew by me like I was standing still. As he went by, I heard the distinctive whine of supercharger gears..!

Later at the event, when everyone was parked, this guy comes up to me and asks to see under my hood. "Why"...I asked? He explained he had to go over 120 to really pass me proper...! He couldn't quite comprehend how a flat-head six cylinder car could do what mine was doing. I explained that 1) the cylinder design had a wedge-shape combustion chamber, and 2) there were six more cylinders on the other side...!

Then he wanted to show off to me his "39 Mercury". I walked over to his '39 Mercury and really did admire the workmanship. Beautifully done both inside and out. First class job with first class materials.

But I did ask him, expressed curiosity, since I did not know that 1939 Mercury cars had Jaguar rear suspension. Then I expressed puzzlement because I did not recall 1939 Mercury cars having "big block" Chevrolet motors, or L80E four speed automatic overdrive transmissions.

Then I expressed puzzlement because I did not know that 1939 Merc's had fiber-glass fenders. I also did not recognize the full independant front suspension from a late model car as being available in 1939 Mercs.

He thought I was being funny. As he explained, nobody in their right mind would want a REAL 1939 Mercury; certainly if they wanted to actually DRIVE the thing! He assured me there wasnt so much as a bolt or nut off a REAL 1939 Mercury on his car. When I walked away he was sill shaking his head, trying to get his brain around the fact that he had just seen a guy actually driving a "bone stock" car from the 1930's...

()o.k...so I have a "high speed" differential gear set)..!

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The purist, their cars, knowledge and ability are the MOST important asset for the classic car world. Even more important than the vendors. NO doubt about it.

That does not mean that an as-close-to-perfect restoration fits the needs of EVERY owner.

39Super8 wrote:
"Many that cry about not converting to 12 volts out of the left side of their mouth preach radials out of the right side. I suppose that double standard is ok."

The above quote applies to MANY other parts too!

The Purist car owners of the world walk a difficult and narrow path with terrific dedication and to be greatly admired. However, in view of the above quote by 39super8, the purists also walk on thin ice.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 10:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Most of the purists, no doubt, have seen every kind of retro-fit, conversion, modification etc that could ever happen to a Packard. They know what will fit and work in terms of mods, and what won't.

So, within reason, sell the less-than-pure what they want!!

Posted on: 2009/4/11 10:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Asparagus said:Quote:
As my speedometer passed 95 or so, he blew by me like I was standing still. As he went by, I heard the distinctive whine of supercharger gears..!

Later at the event, when everyone was parked, this guy comes up to me and asks to see under my hood. "Why"...I asked? He explained he had to go over 120 to really pass me proper...! He couldn't quite comprehend how a flat-head six cylinder car could do what mine was doing.

Did you take off your driving gloves, slap him on both sides of his face and challenge him to a duel?

Glad to see a Ford could outwork your Tri 4 set up.

This "My dog's better than your dog" mentality will be the end of ALL post war Packard enthusism. It takes a special person to keep the post war cars as they rolled off the line showroom perfect & correct. It already takes undervalued pricing to get most people who own a '51-'54 into them. It's debates like this that should be left alone. In Packard Circles its always 12 vs. 8, Pre-war vs. Post war, V8 vs. Straight 8, Junior Vs. Senior. To each his own, if your names not on the pink slip, go find one that is and whack away with your opinions. Just my 2 cents, in fact here's a dollar. Keep the Change.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.83 KB)
633_49e0c3ca1b109.jpg 620X354 px

Posted on: 2009/4/11 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
I understand the cost aspect as being daunting, and having cheaper parts available is attractive. But just as I don't own a house that I can't afford, I also don't work on cars that I can't afford, or am unwilling to save to buy, the parts.

Well said. I, myself, am on a shoe string budget when it comes to maintaining my packard. I would still rather let it sit until I can buy the correct replacement part than consider redesigning what Packard so elegantly gave us in the first place.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 11:27
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
I have been laughed at for years for continuing to run 6 volt in my cars/trucks. I had a 1948 Chevrolet truck when I was 17. (just klicked 40 on my odometer) My 1949 GMC 250 still runs 6 volts. I spent more time and money finding the correct AM tube radio so I could enjoy one of the few option/luxury items offered at the time.

My wife and I are coaches on our daughters unicycle team and will be using that same GMC truck today in the Easter parade. Sure hope that "troublesome" 6 volt doesn't let me down!

Each and every one of our classics has their own attributes and I'm thankful to own then and use them for the intended purpose.

Have a great day everyone!

T&J

Posted on: 2009/4/11 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I wonder what all the 12-volt disciples are going to do when the new standard (I understand 42 volts) takes affect.

Which is why I plan on making all the cars I own from now on to be 84 volts, so I can be ahead of the rest!

Posted on: 2009/4/11 12:43
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
You apparently did not read my present ( or past ) posts correctly. Lets try it again.

FORD PASSING PACKARD
Didn't happen. Had you read my post, you will see it was a super-charged Chevrolet from a generations-later technology era.

MY DOG IS BETTER THAN YOUR DOG
Someone should have explained to you this is not a religion; it is a hobby. It can be a FUN hobby if you dont lower yourself to childish silliness. Pick what YOU like and can afford, and be happy! If you glance over to someone else's stuff, no matter WHAT he has or you have, sooner or later you are going to find someone else has a bigger, longer, heavier, and more capable one than you.

Let that bother you and you are going to go nuts, and be a grouchy, resentful pain-in-the-part-that-goes-over-the-fence last.

Turboman and others in this forum, thru their mechanical expertise, have figured out ways of correcting some of Packard's screw-ups on the last years of Packard, and made pretty reliable fun cars out of them. READ their posts on technical issues as to the later year Packards.

I personally prefer to keep my vehicles as stock as possible. True, I am not adverse to using quartz-halogen headlight bulbs hidden behind the authentic headlight buckets and lenses, in the pre-sealed beam cars. True, I did a lot of "swapping" of parts when I was working on '51's - '54'. Had fun. Never let it worry me that a '38 Buick Century coupe could out-drag my Twelve. Never let it worry me that the DOZENS of post 1950 Packards I had over the years couldn't beat a garbage truck in a drag race. I liked em for what they were. PACKARDS !

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I love how you try to build me up as this big old "Packard problem solver" Petey, it's quite hilarious.

Quote:
I personally prefer to keep my vehicles as stock as possible.

As stock as possible with Oldsmobile pumpkins in the rear axles! It's the "OldsmoPackard"!!!

Posted on: 2009/4/11 12:51
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
REGARDING TELVE VOLT CONVERSIONS:

At an auto show some years ago, a couple of "experts" nodded knowingly when they saw my hood open, and how fast my bone stock starter kicks over my bone stock Packard V-12 motor.

They explained to each other that I must have had that "FOUR VOLT CONVERSION"...

Now, where in hell did these guys get that idea...?

I know...I know..it was mean of me...but I couldn't resist it - see, some years before that, I got tired of explaining to people that BONE STOCK six volt systems, WHEN PROPERLY MAINTAINED, spin em fast, start em right now, and burn headlights BRIGHT. Hot or cold. PERIOD !

So - revenge time. I explained to one "know-it-all" who said he didnt believe me, about my "secret"..."See.."...I told him...."modern 6 volt electricty is too weak..dosnt work well in these old systems....so you need a four volt convertor to make the modern electricy behave like old 6 volt electricity.." Didn't take long for one ""expert to tell another "expert"..etc...etc. and back it came to me a year or so later !

Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved