Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Pulling the valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is usually a sign that the valves on those lifters were stuck. Enough hydraulic pressure developed inside the lifter when the engine was turned over that the barrels have have expanded and are now stuck inside the tappet. Grab the barrel of the lifter violently with a pair of vice grips so as to crush it inward, yank it out of the tappet and discard. It was not any more good anyway. Lo siento mucho.

Posted on: 2022/11/21 10:40
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
If you can rotate the engine by bumping the starter, that may help.

I can just rotate the engine at this point by hand with a 1" socket on the crankshaft since there is no compression.

Posted on: 2022/11/21 11:14
Catch me on Instagram @rockabillydad or @pastironworks
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
That is usually a sign that the valves on those lifters were stuck. Enough hydraulic pressure developed inside the lifter when the engine was turned over that the barrels have have expanded and are now stuck inside the tappet. Grab the barrel of the lifter violently with a pair of vice grips so as to crush it inward, yank it out of the tappet and discard. It was not any more good anyway. Lo siento mucho.

Hahaha! Here is a man I can relate to. It would make sense since the tapping noise was coming from the front and middle of the engine when I did my long screwdriver stethoscope trick. Each of those locations have a frozen lifter cylinder inside of the tappet. I'll be sure to give that a try. I was going to get a little beat of heat into the tappet as well to see if it helps loosen it up.

Posted on: 2022/11/21 11:15
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
If you had stuck valves, you will at a minimum probably want to ream the valve guides for clearance and/or install new valve guides (which are available). My experience, including the tool I purchased to ream my valve guides and the tool I made to remove/install them is here:

Post-War Valve Guide Removal/Installation, Reaming

Posted on: 2022/11/23 11:29
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
Well I was able to get one of the stuck lifters out without much of a fight. It froze with about 1/4” exposed and I was able to get it out with some vice grips and some light hammer taps.

The second one is determined to stay in the motor. There’s maybe a 1/16” exposed and I’ve been messing with it for a couple hours now. Any thoughts?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2022/11/23 17:45
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Take a small freshly sharpened pin punch and collapse it inward. Turn-repeat.

Posted on: 2022/11/23 18:38
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
I ended up welding a washer around the top and was able to hammer it up and out. My god that was a pain.

Posted on: 2022/11/24 9:27
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved