Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 167

53 Cavalier, BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1948 Custom 8 Victoria Convertible
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
I have had a lot of difficulty finding my way back to this site and don't have a clue why. I go look on the owner's registry and do not see my 48 Custom Eight Convertible, but see my 41 Convertible. However, I do a search and this post and information comes up. I do not know much about the minor differences in the early and late 48 cars, in fact I didn't know there was any difference. The Vin # on this car is 22592919. I would like to know more about what I have.

I have decided to sell the car. I really do not care for the 48 body style as much as the 41 body style. Since I last made any posts to this forum, I have overhauled the engine and installed an overdrive transmission in the 41, thus making it an excellent touring car.

I will sell the car for 68,500.00 which is a good buy on the car.

Bill J

Posted on: 2009/11/11 17:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
Sorry for the late reply, I have no idea if this is the same car as in the movie.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 17:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your car is properly a 1948 model year, and the 919th of that body style produced.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 17:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
At about what point in the series did these cars become late cars vs early cars? Does this mean that someone might have put an early series front bumper on this car? How do you tell the difference between the early and late front bumper?

Posted on: 2009/11/11 18:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
This car formerly resided in San Francisco, CA and I am told by a previous owner that it was originally a maroon car and the people who owned it in California painted it the Packard Ivory color. Thinking through all of this, it could very well be the exact same car as what was used in the movie. The paint is single stage enamel, which is one of the paints used at that time.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 18:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
[i]At about what point in the series did these cars become late cars vs early cars? Does this mean that someone might have put an early series front bumper on this car?[/i]

Early or late is a nebulous definition; its easier to think in terms of a 22nd series 1948 like yours, a 22nd series 1949 which would have a VN of 2392-9-XXXX, or a leftover 48 renumbered by the factory to a 49 22nd series. The front bumper was a running change as was the change from painted to chrome headlight doors. The change from R-9 to R-11 OD occured late in the 22nd series, otherwise there are essentialy no differences in the 49 22nd series and their 48 twins.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 19:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved