Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Lower Control Arm Outer Pivot Pin
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I believe that either the old or the new parts are fit for use. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the internal threads in the bushings are slightly "hour glass" shaped by design.

There is some give in the suspension parts by design. Where metal to metal parts are used, some clearance is necessary to prevent binding and galling.

Rubber bushings are often used in suspension joints to allow limited "give", which prevents binding and absorbs some road harshness. I believe the Packard Saf T Flex system used both metal to metal and rubber bushings to give a selective balance of compliance and rigidity.

The exception would be the kingpin to knuckle bushing/needle bearing fit, which intended to be snug.

Posted on: 2023/5/11 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The threaded pin and bushing gives a good deal of surface area contact and limits endwise movement. The joint is both grease-filled and heavily loaded. I don't think the clearance you are observing would cause any issues. In fact, I think you'd have problems if the fit was any tighter.

Some cars used that type of pin and bushing at both the lower and upper outer A-frame pivots, as well as the inner A frame pivots. They worked well as long as they were kept greased.

Packard used a combination of rubber and metal-to-metal in the interest of a superior ride.

Later model vehicles went to all rubber bushings. They also work well, but may give up a little in steering geometry stability in order to get a better ride and lower first cost along with less maintenence.

Posted on: 2023/5/11 12:39
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A.E
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
Measured the play on two new ones. At a distance of 2.5 cm from the bushing, the play was 0.38 mm on one, and 0.30 on the other.

Thank you Ross. I did the same measurement. The play is 1.48mm.

Posted on: 2023/5/12 5:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
"Thank you Ross. I did the same measurement. The play is 1.48mm."

Is that the new parts or the used parts?

The used parts will probably show different clearances depending on how they are oriented to each other.

Posted on: 2023/5/12 7:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved