Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 191

BigKev, R H, Packard Don, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Brake issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I bow to all the above. However, flushing the system with inexpensive isopropyl alcohol available at any CVS, Rite Aid, etc. is hardly going to hurt anything, esp. since you're immediately after running compressed air through it.

Then you add the DOT 5. Regardless of brand, all made by Dow Corning w/ telltale lavender hue. I urge people to buy it and all else at any NAPA store, since they cater to old cars, have better stuff than the cheesy chains for the same and often less money.

Again, after all your work, why install something hydroscopic, absorbing moisture from the ambient air, the only reason you have to rebuild master and wheel cylinders?

Glycol brake fluid, DOT 3 or DOT 4 (Girling) should be changed every few years. DOT 5 lasts forever, so the only parts you'll have to address the next couple centuries, given your mileage, are brake shoes. Eventually.

A friend has the same batch of DOT 5 in his '40 120, '40 180 Darrin, and '42 160 convertibles since the 1980s and it still looks new, as that in my '47 Super.

Posted on: 2023/6/16 18:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved