Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
265 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 261

chevyboy, 37Blanche, Alvin14, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

35 V12 Speedo issue?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alsancle
See User information
Hi, Ran in to a weird problem with the speedometer on our 35 12. It has always worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when it just stopped. I was able to spin the cable at the back of the speedometer which made me think the cable was broke. But upon removing it was fine. That made me think that the drive at the transmission had potentially failed, but inserting the transmission end back in resulted in the cable no longer being able to spin.

So now I'm theorizing that the transmission side of the cable insert pulled itself out of the transmission notch.

Does this make any sense and is that possible?

thanks for any input, A.J.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 15:00
 Top  Print   

Re: 35 V12 Speedo issue?
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'm not familiar with your car's speedometer specifics, but one possibility to consider is that the cable needs lubrication.

If is is getting dry, increased friction may cause the cable core to wind up and shorten somewhat, which might allow it to disengage. Backing the car up a few feet might get it to work again, but it wouldn't solve the issue.

If the bearing in the speedometer head is dry, it might have a similar effect.

I'd consult the shop manual or someone with Packard speedo experience for information on inspection, adjustment, and lubrication.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 22:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved