Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 209

humanpotatohybrid, Kevin, ScottG, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: removal of Power steering
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Here is a pic of the RHD 56 Patrician

Attach file:

jpg  56 Packard Wheels 06.jpg (414.66 KB)
154_64d71f0eb367f.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/8/12 0:56
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Howard, The alternator which I used was an almost direct replacement for the Generator. Same bracket, same drive belt and a bit of shimming to align. I used the output from the original oil filter to feed the alternator vacuum pump lubrication. A simple T piece and reducer to give about an ounce of oil per minute to the alternator vacuum pump. The oil output from the vacuum pump I fed into the top of the oil filler cap. As an aside i discovered that after I installed the Olds pump mod, i was getting some spotting on the garage floor. So I sealed the bottom of the bell housing and used a bit of vacuum from the new system to bring any bell housing oil into a bottle in the engine bay. it works a treat. I was amazed how easily the 4WD diesel alternator went in. some pics attached. The vacuum pump on the alternator drives the vacuum wipers quite well.

Attach file:

jpg  56 Packard Alternator etc (7).jpg (105.46 KB)
154_64d73b6b85cf4.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  56 Packard vacuum used to pick up oil drips from bell housing.jpg (45.19 KB)
154_64d73b7e36af2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/8/12 2:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the info. It is a big help. A tee on the filter bottom outlet and a short hose to the pump would be an easy thing to do. The bolt for the banjo fitting on the pump I have has a fairly small bore -- much smaller than the 1/4 tubing used in the filter plumbing so it might be a limit to quantity allowed to enter. Any idea if the pump could be damaged if a larger than 1 oz supply was provided?

You used the filler cap for the return but since no specs to specify if the return port needed to be higher or lower than pump or how big it needed to be, was also thinking that maybe the old block port just above the oil pan where the crankcase vacuum was located could be used to keep the return hose mostly out of sight. I think without the crankcase pump plumbing that port is just open into the space but since the pump outlet tube is fairly large and the block port is smaller, not sure if it would be big enough. Thoughts??

Posted on: 2023/8/12 10:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Howard, The oil line with the T piece is outlet oil from the bypass filter and is at a pretty low pressure( maybe 10psi?) I would expect that with the small supply orifice, the Vane vacuum pump would be in no danger of damage. I fed the extracted oil/vacuumed air return line into the filler cap as it is handy and seemed a logical place to put it. I used a small in line cock fitting to divert a small fraction of the vacuum to extract any bell housing oil leakage. There was a port to fit a vacuum gauge so I did so. The vane pump generates reasonable vacuum and works the wipers well under all conditions. A few more pics of the RHD Patrician (still with Treadlevac brakes)

Attach file:

jpg  56 Patrician original trim.jpg (58.77 KB)
154_64d8673584f2c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  56 Patrician RHD dashboard.jpg (43.41 KB)
154_64d867467ef3f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/8/13 0:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved