Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: 1956 Packard Patrician for Project or Parts- Asking $3,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
No problem Howard and I appreciate your insight into the video. As far as I have been able to find, the shift pattern on this Hydramatic would be NDSLR with S being "second". Park was achieved by selecting R and cutting power to the transmission.

One way this could have been done is if those 5 gears have even spacing, then it is only a question of mechanical advantage and alignment between the controller and shift lever to match the patterns. Having some slight slop in the mechanism would be beneficial so the positioning does not have to be perfect, as the shift lever presumably clunks into place for each gear like on a Packard transmission. This is my strongest suspicion.

Note that the transmission had the "Park" button selected though this means nothing as anyone could have hit it in the past 60 years the car has sat...

Posted on: 12/16 18:04
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Packard Patrician for Project or Parts- Asking $3,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Here is a 55 Olds instrument cluster which I believe would have used this transmission. You can see the gears are evenly spaced, hence my suspicion that the original Packard contacts, excepting Park, would have been used. But the order would have been somewhat different.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 12/16 23:14
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved