Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radio for 1936 Standard 8 installation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I am installing an original radio in a 1936 Packard Standard 8. The firewall is not Drilled for the 3 studs on the back of the radio. Is there a template for drilling the mounting holes. Are there any installation in instructions? I would like to locate the radio and speaker in the original location. Thanks.

Posted on: 3/6 17:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Radio for 1936 Standard 8 installation
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DM37
See User information
Here is the October 1936 (Probably applies to Model year 1937, but they arent different as far as I've researched) Radio Installation (for Senior Deluxe receiver box) instructions I had located. See if that helps.

Most importantly, do some image research of the same model on the internet and then link up with a compadre' who has the same year with a radio so they can take some photos/measurements in addition to the data I've provided.

Dan M.

Attach file:

png  441_62d5ce49127a6.png (31.92 KB)
226393_65e8fd03d0b83.png 800X1065 px

jpg  441_62d5ce6065b46.jpg (115.86 KB)
226393_65e8fd1c1aac9.jpg 800X1035 px

Posted on: 3/6 18:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
Thanks. I installed it and the directions worked perfect for my 1936 standard 8.

Posted on: 3/7 4:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DM37
See User information
Life's small victories...how dare you follow instructions and they actually work?! (I'm an engineer and we never follow the manufacturers recommended procedure).

Posted on: 3/7 18:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I'm a mechanical engineer. I've been around aircraft to long. I like to leave it the way the original engineer designed it. I still don't read the instructions when putting together kids' toys though. I really appreciate the help on the original radio installation.
I've got a friend who an EE and designed antennas who laughs at my original running board antennas.

Posted on: 3/9 15:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DM37
See User information
...aerospace for me (Grumman A-6/F-14/E2/C2 and all variants...then mostly in satellite/space biz). My EE's shiver at antique car single-ended wiring using the chassis as the return path...no wonder the radios have so much EMI noise.

Presumably youve done a refurb of the electrical guts (replacing paper and electrolytic capacitors, vibrator, etc).

Have you read the packard advisories about suppressing noise with distributor condensers and spark plug isolation? The attached file is for a Packard postwar radio noise but it is no different than the remedy for pre-war radios.

Attach file:

pdf PA-439661_PA-439665_Radio.pdf Size: 1,270.90 KB; Hits: 69

Posted on: 3/9 16:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved