Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radial Tires for senior V8s
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I am planning to replace the bias ply tires on my 56 Patrician with radials. The conversion chart seems to indicate that the 235R75 is the correct replacement, but I am concerned that they will be too fat to mount inside the rear fenders. Would a 225R75 be better? What is your experience?

Posted on: 2007/7/13 16:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Radial Tires for senior V8s
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I currently have the wrong size tire 235/70R15 which is a fatter tire than yours and there are no clearance problems. 235/75R15 is the right size. May I suggest you examine Diamondback tires before you buy? Also if you are a member of PAC you can save a little by ordering thru the MidAtlantic region of the club and they will get a small commision.
How about posting a picture of your Patrician and some details? All of us enjoy the pictures!

Posted on: 2007/7/13 20:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have 235-75R15 tyres on my 56 Executive. No significant clearence problems. I have noticed a very SLIGHT rub pattern on the left rear INNER wheel well but i'm guessing that only happens under some severe conditions that i have put the car thru at very low speed. Fronts seem to come very close to rubbing on full turn of steering wheel but no such interference takes place.
I live in a rural county of middle Tennessee and often engage rather ruff driveways and country roads. The 235-75R15's have not demonmstrated any problems now for over 6 years and 20K miles.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 21:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just out of curiosity, why are u replacing the bias plys that are currently on the car.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 21:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also note that u will probably loose some ground clearence even with the 235-75's. Mite want to look into some 235-85's. 225's would be ok but i prefer the 235's.

Randy, your 400 must set REALLY low to ground with the 70 series tyres???

Posted on: 2007/7/13 21:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith, It do, it do. I drove thru a lo-riders convention and they didn't notice I wasn't a pachuko.
Take a look at the picture "Two great 56s" and see the comparison of my 400 and Chris Caribbean (care uh bee' an).

Posted on: 2007/7/13 22:03
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I never heard of an 85 series radial. Who makes a 235/85R15?

Posted on: 2007/7/14 15:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Neither have I. I know I have 225/75R15's on my Patrician, as I couldn't squeeze 235's into the rear end, even though I'd rather have the wider tire, even if it is only 10mm.

Eventually, I'm going to put some 16" or 17" wheels on her, and go with the widest possible tire I can find, all the way around. I want this baby to hug the road, and with a lower profile, wider tire, and the suspension upgrades I plan, it will.

Posted on: 2007/7/15 2:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I don't understand why 235s won't fit into your rear wheel wells. I have no problem installing/removing them. Do you raise the rear end to max before trying to install/remove them?

Posted on: 2007/7/15 10:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes we did. But, I'm not quite sure that the wheels I have on the car are actually Packard, and the offset may be different. It doesn't really matter, because the bolt patter is going to change when I swap rear ends out for either a '94+ Mustang 8.8", or try the Lincoln Mark VIII independent rear with custom wheels.

Posted on: 2007/7/15 15:39
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved