Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

Peter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Enfield Pageant of Motoring May 2009
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Clipper,
Because I also like old motorcycles this is a question people always ask me. The short answer is no. They were built in Reddich near Birmingham and were a very good bike to own. I don't know why exactly they were called "Royal Enfield" The designs were sold to the Indians and you can still buy them much as they were in the 50's.
I still have a 1954 Triumph Tiger 100 that I ride from time to time.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Morning Eric,
I'd love to take you up on your kind offer as I have always had an interest in guns but as you probably are aware we do not have the outright right to bear arms like the States due to government legislation. I do still have a 12 gauge o/u shotgun and occasionally get in a round of skeet.
Here's a bit of trivia for you. I've just come back from a workout in the gym which was formally the old Royal Small Arms machine shop and all around this vast site runs a small river "The Lee". Many people think that, that is where the SMLE got it's name by adding Lee to Enfield hence Lee Enfield. The design actually was the brainchild of an American Major Lee Metford and the SMLE developed from his design. The famous Bren Gun was also developed by the
Czechoslovakians in Brno and made at Enfield it's name being formed from the two first letters of each town hence BREN
Take care
Terry

Posted on: 2009/6/8 2:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Your welcome John.
Terry

Posted on: 2009/6/8 2:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Terry, We have a dealer here in town who sells the India made Royal Enfield bikes. They look like they are very well made.
The Lee Enfield was named for the inventor James Paris Lee who designed several versions of bolt action rifles including the 6 MM Winchester Lee-Navy used by the US Navy in the 1890s. Lee was born in Scotland but came to Canada at age 4. I won't go into details about his prolific life as those are available on the net and elsewhere. The Metford in the Lee-Metford rifle ( a 19th century British Service Rifle made prior to the Lee-Enfield) is reference to the English born bullet and barrel engineer William Ellis Metford.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 8:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Clipper,
Many thanks for that update. I was obviously given some duff info by the tour guide that took me around the pattern room at the old Enfield factory.However that was many moons ago and the memory banks may have become somewhat clouded over the years.
Best regards,
Terry

Posted on: 2009/6/9 1:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved