Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 243

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

No more speedo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
I bought a replacement speedometer cable for my 55 patrician as it was missing. I hooked it up and the speedometer wobbled a bit but otherwise worked fine for about fifty miles, it started making a grinding sound and the pointer fell off. Knowing that the only way to check it or replace it is to remove the all the gauges from the back and other than moving the glove box to the right get at the upper bolts does anyone have any other suggestions as to make this any more enjoyable. By the way HH you are right (as always) the only way to fix the antenna is to take it out and solder the wire.. it now works great, love that AM station.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 21:23
 Top  Print   

Re: No more speedo
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad the antenna repair worked.

As to speedo removal, don't know any easy way. You wouldn't have to remove the gauge cluster entirely if needle still attached as speedo is held in by 5 screws separately. Still a PIA fighting the wires and steering column brace but can be done with contortion, appropriate language and GENTLY twisting and persuading out of cluster. With needle off though, don't know any other way to retrieve it as it has probably fallen to bottom of cluster case. You could try just removing speedo first and if needle visible thru front possibly retrieve it with tweezers or similar or if not visible, maybe some sticky tape on end of something will grab it. I don't believe it is magnetic.

If the cluster has to come out, hopefully the wire insulation is not hard and brittle since all will have to disconnect. Be very careful loosening the nuts on gauge terminals and try to use a small ignition type wrench to hold the bolt under the wire while removing the one holding it on. If the terminal studs twist or loosen from the gauge insulating fiber material, the gauge can be destroyed.

Suspect lube probably dried up inside speedo which is why cable removed in first place. When active again, cup jerked and the violent motion either knocked needle loose (if lucky) or broke end of shaft off (bad).

Posted on: 2009/6/18 21:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I surmise that mine broke the same way, I had to disconnect my speedo cable because everytime I drove the car I would get this horrible grinding noise. I thought at first it was my engine, but with the help of the guys on this forum I found out it was the speedo.

So if the needle broke off the stem the speedo is fubar?

Where does one lube the speedo, other than the cable?

Also does anyone know what color the needle is suppose to be? I have one sitting in a bits box from a dissasembled one, but it looks like someone sanded it!

Posted on: 2009/6/19 11:03
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Thanks for the advice HH; I don't suppose that you would have some of your clear illustrative photos on hand of the back of the panel showing the locations of the screws. I almost got my head stuck up under the dash looking and I keep dropping the mirror. It's dangerous as she loves to scratch.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 18:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't have a complete instrument panel to show but here is a cluster with speedo missing. You can see the outline where it goes and hole locations.

As to lube, there is a small oil hole in the top of cast area where the cable connects that takes care of the first driveshaft. It takes some light oil 3 in 1 or some such, but if yours is anything like one on my 47 was, there is grease inside on the worm drives and transfer gears to odometer area. That stuff had dried so badly, the thing wouldn't turn more than a few degrees without binding. I posted some pictures of a 54 speedo on one of Brandons posts where he was having the noise issue so you can get a fair idea of the internal layout looking at those. Obviously, the 55-6 will be slightly different in location but components same.

I used some solvent on a Q tip to loosen the old. Then used some contact cleaner/degreaser to finish the job. then regreased with a light phono type grease. Whatever you do, be careful not to let anything get on the face or it will stain or maybe even take the finish off--assuming you can reuse yours..

Attach file:

jpg  (30.29 KB)
209_4a3c291422a06.jpg 640X423 px

Posted on: 2009/6/19 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I changed my 56 speedo 2 years ago. I could not contort my overweight body to get at everything. I then removed the front seat and laid lenghtwise in the car and was able to do it. You need a person to be the gopher because you will always need another tool and you don't want to climb out after finally getting into position. It wasn't fun but I got the rebuilt unit installed.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
easiest way is to pull the dash. that's the only way i'll work on one any more! and ask eric, he thought pulling a 55/56 dash would be a nightmare. i think it took him 10 min. tops once i told him how i do them!

Posted on: 2009/6/19 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
p.s. brandon, the needle is gold and white. and i still have the one i offered if you want it. works good!

Posted on: 2009/6/19 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
easiest way is to pull the dash. that's the only way i'll work on one any more! and ask eric, he thought pulling a 55/56 dash would be a nightmare. i think it took him 10 min. tops once i told him how i do them!

Yes, it was less than 10 minutes, and that was even while talking to Chad on the phone! Having the windshield out did make it easier, and it would have been even easier with a power drill with a socket attachment, as the top bolts by the windshield came out really easily by hand.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 20:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Certainly an option, although not sure if any less work overall. Definitely easier to get to speedo but the extra stuff removed and replaced seems to negate that. Being your first time and with all the interior WS moldings still in place, I'd give it a bit longer. When working under dash, I move the front seat all the way back, lay on the floor contorted in such a way as to have legs over the seat back. Works for me, but maybe I'm not as tall as you or packard1.

If you decide to try removing dash, be sure and pad your steering column with something because if dash slips, it can sure scratch. Also watch the vinyl as it may be hard and brittle and easy to tear. A second body might be of help.

You can pull it away from WS at the top about 6 inches IIRC, if the wiring harness isn't wrapped around the steering column support. If it is, you may have to disconnect a bit to provide the slack.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 21:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved