Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: THUMPING IN FIRST GEAR
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Denny, Sorry to hear about your misfortune. A broken tooth can be picked up in the gears and cause major mayhem. I have had it happen to me. I will add my voice to those who recommend not driving the car unless it is repaired. If you need advice on how to get the transmission out PM me.
When you have the transmission out and if you want to do a clutch job I have an NORS clutch disc for your car for sale cheap.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 8:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Reminds me of what I now remember as a funny story but it wasn't funny at the time. Car is question was a new 62 Rambler American 400 convertible which I had gotten quite good at shifting without the clutch (I was such a fool). One day it got stuck in first and reverse at the same time, so I decided to give it 4000 or so rpm and pop the clutch. The transmission case split exactly in half on the casting lines and spilled it guts on the road. Dealer insisted the damage was negligence and it cost me an entirely new trans.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 8:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dave, I commend your intestinal fortitude to admit that in writing. Your logical skills were obviously at an early formative stage during those years.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Yes it sounds like you broke first gear. I did the same thing on an old Fargo pickup truck towing a car out of a ditch. So I drove it for years on second and high, skipping low completely.

I'm not suggesting you do this but you can. The broken parts must have fallen to the bottom of the tranny and stayed there.

Best thing to do would be to take out the trans and repair it. Replace the broken gear and whatever else is worn.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 9:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Denny, will do! I know I have a spare '48 Packard 3 speed around somewhere, I just need to find it!

Posted on: 2009/6/22 9:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved