Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1956 Clipper a/c
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Ok. Thanks.

What about my questions re: a/c parts and installation? Anybody know?

Posted on: 2009/6/27 12:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are some sites with aftermarket units--individual components and complete kits. Vintage Air has a decent catalog with instructions also.

The least expensive and probably easiest do it yourself would be the under dash or "hang on" unit. The issue with that will be the glove box door location pretty much limits what you can do and how to mount so you'll have to think about what you need for custom brackets.

Your car is a big car with not much body insulation so you'll need the largest unit available to cool any back seat passengers adequately. If more than one version offered, get the R-134 version since the R-12 (Freon) is mostly phased out, very expensive, and requires certified techs to handle now..

http://www.vintageair.com/

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/

http://www.southernrods.com/categories/heating-and-cooling/heating-and-cooling-systems/southern-air-1.html

EDIT: I know of no just "bolt on" kits for your Clipper since it isn't a Ford or Chevy--although those can be modified as the mounts are the big thing. Earlier this year I believe Jack Vines had some V8 compressor mounts for sale. If he still does, getting one would considerably cut the work involved. PackardV8 also has made a compressor mount and might be willing to sell one or the plans so a local welding shop could make you one. Other than the mounts, there is really not too much mechanical to do with a kit. A few holes drilled or cut and things bolted on. A decent shade tree mechanic usually can see what needs to be done for the mounting and putting together--just pay attention to details & make sure no hoses are kinked or in a position to be damaged. Once that is done, take the car to an AC repair shop for pumping down and charging.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Thanks, HH. PV8's way is appealing to me because he describes the Toyota compressor as mounting with only straight sheet metal. As he says, you need a hacks saw and some metal. I like, too, that he indicates I can probably get everything I need for a few hundred bucks, as opposed to a $1,200 kit.

So, I guess, what I'm looking for is a list of parts I need to try to find (e.g. a compressor for an '83 Celica).

I just need the list, so that I know what all I need. I'd also need some form of instruction.

I wonder why I couldn't just use the same vents as are factory-installed with the car. Just run a hose to them...

Posted on: 2009/6/27 14:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did your car have fact AC. If so, you're talking a whole different ballgame. If not, the vents are basically as O_D has said on occasion, non-obtainium. I've been attempting to replicate them but have not got to the point where they are decent. If you don't have them already, they require cutting 2 holes in top of dash--not sure you'd want to do that--and the use of something like the Vintage Air Gen IV series or Classic Air Hurricane (current model) series units as Loyd Smith has done.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=27602#forumpost27602

Attach file:

jpg  (37.18 KB)
209_4a467ea051f81.jpg 603X414 px

jpg  (25.47 KB)
209_4a467ead2ad6b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/6/27 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I see (maybe). Did PackardV8 (the member posting above) have facory a/c set-up, where he merely went to a Toyota compressor? Can you tell that from the pics he linked to? Mine did not have factory originally.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 15:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
PV8 already had an underdash evaporator unit available and on handhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=26017#forumpost26017 and just needed the compressor and condensor etc. The compressor and bracket he has documented somewhere on that thread, but don't remember what/where details about the condensor. He may have mentioned it also in the thread.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Some 8 years ago i went to the junk yard. IIRC it was an 84 or 85 or maybe 86 Toyota Celica. I do remeber that the engine mounted east/west so therfore it was front wheel drive. It's possible that it mite have been a 84 or 85 Nissan passenger car i just don't remeber exactly but i'm fairly sure it was 84 Toyota Celica.

I got the compressor, the BRACKET that the compressor mounts to. The condensor, dryer and all of the lines. Saved all of the bolts. I did NOT get the evaporator.

The Toyota bracket is a CRADLE type bracket with the idler pulley made on to it. LOOK cloely at the pic of the bracket i posted above. It is painted black.

I used the Toyota condensor. HOWEVER, i believe a larger condensor is needed. The problem is finding a larger condensor to fit in the Packard area without butchering any of the original packard platform.

A Mark IV ca. 1958 evaporator already came with my car and was in excellent condtiotion so i just used it.

CONTACT JACK VINES about a bracket. At the time i set mine up i did not know JV. My bracket is not sheet metal. It is 1/2" thick STEEL PLATE 6 inches wide. It required a total of 28 inches of hack saw cutting thru the 1/2 inch plate PLUS 6ix inches of cutting a 45 degree angle which is equivelent to 11/16 thick steel. Then the hole in the center has to be cut.

Your best bet is to see what JV wants for a Packard bracket and idler. THEN determine if u want to get up close and personal with a hacksaw for 4 - 5 hours or just buy one from JV.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 16:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
According to Turbopacman, a powersteering pulley can be used as a 3rd pulley for the AC drive belt. I hav'nt tried it. My car came to me with a factory pulley already in place.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 16:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
the ONLY reason i chose the Toyota set up was because of the CRADLE type bracket with integral idlier. Everthing else i looked at in the junk yard was stamped steel curved and formed brackets.

It was real ez to just mount the CRADLE type bracket to my PAckard look-a-like engine bracket then mount the pump to the cradle toyota bracket.

recommendation however is to use a 70's Chevrolet (GM) pump. DOUBLE check me on this but the Chevy pump is cheaper and more plentiful when a rebuild is needed. The only problem is the chev pump is LONG.

My set up was quick and dirty i did at the time just to get cold air in the car.

2WO things i don't like about mine:
1. Toyota pump. GM (ca.1973) pump would be much better.
2. Condensor of marginal size. Need to find a LARGE condensor that will fit front of Packard without butchering anything.

Points 1 and 2 above are very important.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My system works just fine. It keeps everyone from sweating. But it could be better and faster cooling. SEE POINTS 1. and 2. directly above.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 16:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved