Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1956 Clipper a/c
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If u want dash vents then consider modifying the ASH TRAYS.
The 55-56 Packard ash trays are in the PERFECT location as dsah vents. Real ez to modify. Run a tube from evap to back of ash tray support. Cut out back of ash tray support to allow mounting of the tube.

To adjust vent just slide ash tray in or out. Cold air will blow UP from about center of the dash at the extreme corners. Should be just rite.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 16:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
At the national Packard meet in Branson this week I rode in a 1956 Clipper with the vintage air setup. It was 95 degrees outside and the inside was ice cold. The owner got a stock a/c pulley and bought the vintage air system. An a/c shop installed it.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 18:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
According to Turbopacman, a powersteering pulley can be used as a 3rd pulley for the AC drive belt. I hav'nt tried it. My car came to me with a factory pulley already in place.

Yup, just get another p/s pulley and stick it inside the existing p/s pulley. Use a longer bolt and you're done. If you want to get wild and crazy, tack weld the two pulleys together.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
since it was asked:

the cars with factory air did have a different radiator fan.

iirc its five or six bladed with square ended blades.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 22:46
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I'm reviving this old thread because I never got around to installing a/c. Since then, has anything new come out, or are there better ideas? I want to make my car my daily driver, even for the summer. Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 15:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not much. John from Australia added a few pictures of his setup & my factory copy is finished & pictured showing some plumbing routing.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=92586#forumpost92586 The issues will still be the compressor bracket you need to make (although that is possibly available or being made to order by Mike Dulinski) and the crank pulley.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 15:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Hey, Howard. I remember you! It's been a while. How are things?

I recall you having extensive knowledge on this topic.

Here's what I want: Something that looks nice and should run me $2k or less (which should include labor). Of course, I would like it to coll adequately for our 100 degree summers around here.

So.... if you had this same goal, what would you do as far as listing what components I ought to look for (condenser, evaporator, fan, etc.)?

It is about that time for me to make a list and start looking for parts.

Alternatively, if one of these under the dash kits would make the cut, I am open to that route as well.

So, can you help point me the right direction, and if it means getting parts to do it, rather than a kit, then, I need to start making the list of parts and tracking them down.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 16:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JeffM wrote:
Hey, Howard. I remember you! It's been a while. How are things?

I recall you having extensive knowledge on this topic.

Here's what I want: Something that looks nice and should run me $2k or less (which should include labor). Of course, I would like it to coll adequately for our 100 degree summers around here.

So.... if you had this same goal, what would you do as far as listing what components I ought to look for (condenser, evaporator, fan, etc.)?

It is about that time for me to make a list and start looking for parts.

Alternatively, if one of these under the dash kits would make the cut, I am open to that route as well.

So, can you help point me the right direction, and if it means getting parts to do it, rather than a kit, then, I need to start making the list of parts and tracking them down.

Thanks.

It kind of depends on what your style and likes are but if I were doing a basic aftermarket cool only setup again, I would be sorely tempted to go the MarkIVhttp://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg50wc.pdf or Old Air unit in their 300 underdash serieshttp://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/underdash-ac-systems/underdash-ac-systems-300-series-c-1_32000000_38000000_120132098.html Both have almost period correct looks. Either company is reliable and both also have many other styles to choose from if you don't like those. Unless you have a bad heater, I'd stick with the cool only units and try to avoid those that are long and narrow. They usually take up a lot of space at one end to make up for the long and narrow part.

Other than pictures, I don't know the particulars of either unit but would phone or email and ask about mounting flexibility for any unit you choose. The big issue with V8 Packards is the glovebox door. Mounting under the dash has it's challenges but if you can get an evaporator which has flexibility, you can also mount to the floor close to tunnel. In doing that some of the door problem can be reduced or eliminated. You might have to make another custom bracket but it wouldn't need to be elaborate.

For components, I'd consider a complete kit setup so things would be matched. It's generally less expensive to buy as a complete unit & price from either company should be around $1000. One thing I would strongly suggest is not to run power directly thru ign switch. Some units have a relay for the purpose, other don't. On those that don't, be sure to have a separate power source fed thru a relay to power the unit thru it's fuse. It's OK to power the relay thru switch to turn it on but not the higher amps some of the units pull. The old switches are marginal and already pulling quite a few amps. The extra could do it in.

As to install cost, if you have tools and some skills, there is nothing terribly difficult in the physical mounting. If you can't find and have to have someone make brackets, then I expect that is going to cost. You can usually find a shop to do the hoses and charging if all else is in place. If you want a place that does it all, then you might consider a Vintage Air dealer and get their input. A list is in the Vintage catalog & most sell more than one brand. Possibly you could work an arrangement with them as well where you do as much as possible under guidance and they finish up.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 18:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Thanks for the links. I have no aversion to installing either of those kits. They look fine to me, provided they will fit okay.

I think I'll go to a local classic car a/c place and show them what you linked to and get their input from here.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Much of it depends on what kind of 'mechanic' u are. If u plan to hire alot of the work done then HH56 gives good advice above.

On the other hand, if u can use a hack saw and a file and a drill motor and a machinist square then it mite be easier, better and cheaper to buy some $300 junk car with AC unit and adapt that PRODUCTION cars AC unit to your car.

THe trick is to determine which current (recent) production car has an AC system easily retro fitted to your car.

My 56 Exec has 1958'ish Mark IV evaporator and everything else 86'ish toyota. TOtal cost 10 years a go was about $150 or a little less.

THe big issues (in order) is getting the crank pulley (use a PS pulley), pump bracket (adapt donor car bracket to flat oem packard style fabricated bracket) and condensor mounting (limited space believe it or not).

Using RECENT PRODUCTION system from a donor car insures LOCAL avaialability of future replacement parts, and cost savings.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 23:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved