Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

ElGroucho, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Since Packard had a V-12 in the 30's....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Most of us don't realize how much progress there has been (and is still going on) in the development of new aluminum alloys, heat treating etc.

Possibly more than any other material on a car or at least tied with tire rubber.

To illustrate the point. After the fall of the Berlin Wall a prewar Auto Union race car turned up behind the Iron Curtain. It was shipped to England for restoration.

Now this was the most sophisticated race car of its day with an all aluminum, supercharged double overhead cam engine producing over 600 horsepower. It embodied all the latest German technology and materials science.

The cylinder head was ruined and had to be remade. The restorers went to a great deal of trouble to produce an exact duplicate. They had the original material analysed by the biggest aluminum company in England. When the report came back the aluminum company's metalurgist commented "this is the kind of stuff we use for lamp posts and lawn furniture".

Going back farther to the 1920s I recall a comment made by Buckminster Fuller: "There were only 2 alloys of aluminum - soft and softer. I had to wait 25 years before I could get the materials to build the way I wanted to."

This may be a slight exaggeration.

The first efforts I know of to make aluminum pistons were undertaken by W.O. Bentley in WW1. I know he had a lot of trouble making pistons that would not melt or develop blow holes.

The point is making pistons out of aluminum at that time was at the cutting edge of technology and mechanical science.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 12:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved