Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
267 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 265

HH56, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Pump Rebuild Kits
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
I was wondering if anyone had a good lead on where to locate a rebuild kit for AC fuel pumps. There was only one site that I found and it seemed pretty promising but I tried calling and sending an email early today (Wednesday) with no response. So I thought I'd send out an SOS just in case this doesn't pan out.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 0:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Pump Rebuild Kits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Who did you call?

And, see this thread

Posted on: 2009/7/9 0:48
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
I actually just heard back from Hal at classic-preservationand he has a solid kit as well as a good price at about $10 less than then and now. He was just a bit slow with replying yesterday. Hopefully not slow with shipping.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 18:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

tpow
See User information
Please post your results with that kit. I need to rebuild my fuel pump and carb and would appreciate knowing your level of satisfaction with this one.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 16:28
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
Sure thing... the gentleman I spoke with was out of town for a week over the holiday so it's going to be a bit slow getting here but I hope to have it in my hot little hands by the weekend and give it a go.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 21:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
OK, so I just got my fuel pump kit from classic-preservation.com in the mail and checked it out. It's not missing one single piece that can't be removed from the pump. It seems like a pretty thorough kit and now I suppose if anything goes wrong then I only have myself to blame. I like those odds!

Posted on: 2009/7/14 14:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Rock,

Packards International has rebuild Kits.

Jerry

Posted on: 2009/7/15 6:00
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
Thanks, I wasn't familiar with them when I was searching. I actually have to revise my previous statement about the completeness of the kit. There is no filter screen and one of the valve hats was not assembled and that was a very delicate task if you don't have the right tool for crimping the three metal tabs uniformly. I have one other issue with it and it might actually be something I'm missing... I'm not sure. The pivot pin for the rocker arm is 1/4" shorter than the original and all hardened steel. The original stuck out both sides and was flared. Consequently I had to grind off one side of the pin to extract it. I went to two machine shops and Tacoma Screw which is the largest supplier of these sorts of things in the NW. Everyone looked at what was sent to me and looked at the original. They couldn't tell me where to get anything like what was on there and couldn't tell me how the new one could possibly work. I'm baffled and slightly irritated. If had known it was going to be that big of a problem then I could have had the pin pressed out so I could reuse it like I am having them do with the diaphragms. Am I just missing something very simple here? I was wondering if I'm supposed to use the new one and plug the holes with something? Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

And in edit to this statement I broke one of my own cardinal rules... read the instructions carefully and closely. It explains that it's necessary to peen around the holes of the pump body to hold the new pin in place. I feel sheepish. BAA BAA. Give me a break though... I'm getting hitched next week at our home and I've got the stress of marriage brain. I believe that's an actual medical condition.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 12:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved