Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Please tell me about my god awful brakes!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
it's quite possible that brake lining composition is causing it. Get with the supplier of the brake shoes to see what the composition is of the linings.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 9:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Tried dragging the brakes until they smoke has improved the screeching of the front brakes and now it only happens at the last few feet before stopping....have driven about 100 miles so far (not all with the brakes on)...with the exception of when you make a hard right or left turn and the screeching comes back big time... she sounds like a tiger tank, after a couple of blocks they are quiet again...any more suggestions?

Posted on: 2009/7/19 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
How about using some of the rubbery goop they make for disc brakes? Put a dab where the shoe sits on the backing plate?

I have never tried this but it might help damp out the squeal.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
FWIW
I had the same experience when I installed new shoes on my 56. The front would embarrass the hell out of you when stopping. Took drums and shoes to local brake shop and had softer lining bonded on shoes and shoes indexed to drum, stopped ALL squeal, then installed disc's, go figure?

Posted on: 2009/7/22 17:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Geez..Yeah its a pain in the ass.. I did some more hard stops today, it is getting better, went from SCREAMING to some squeaks..

Posted on: 2009/7/22 17:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like progress, like we said about 13 posts ago, keep driving, make an occasional adjustment of the shoes as the high spots wear off.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SO the shoes needed to be arced before installation. In all of the brake shoes i've ever replaced i've never had to arc any. Only minor squeel for a short period of time would obtain at worse. Usually not. Are the drums within spec regarding maximum diameter?????

It would be interesting to see the wear pattern on the shoes.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the drums have been cut you either should (1) arc grind the linings, (2) shim the linings (if riveted), or (3) drive long enough to wear the shoes to conform to the larger diameter.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 21:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved